Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has completed a 1/2 Ironman before?

I'm taking part in my first one in 6 weeks time and am looking for any info on what to expect!!:eek:)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i'll be on my second half this month on sunday!

which one is it ? what tri experience do you have ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ed,

Its the 1/2 Ireman taking plae in the North of Ireland on Sept 14.

I have done a few sprints last year along with running a Marathon and a 50k. This year though my training came almost to a halt due to "extraneous variables". Ran 9 mile relat of a marathon doing 7:20 miles about 4 weeks ago. Currently swimming up to 1.2k in the pool and doing brick sessions of 30 miles on the bike followed by a 5 mile run...

Hope that paints enough of a picture? I'm able to devote a alot of time to training in the next 6 weeks so hoping to pull it out of the bag! What do you reckon and what should I expect?:eek:)

Cheers buddy!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've done 2 halves and 2 full now - plus one inbetween distance :)

It does sound like you are in good shape - especially for the swim and the run - you're maybe a bit light on bike time at present - but if you've got the time then the good news is that weather is definitely on your side - go out there and get yourself a couple of 50 mile practice rides - especially practice eating and drinking while you ride.

Also... if you haven't got any OW swim experience, then it's definitely worth doing a couple of outdoor swims before the day - it's lovely!

What to expect? Expect it to be less stressful than a marathon (IMO), but still a lot of time doing exercise - so eating and drinking really are important.

Enjoy it and good luck :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i have the problem that having done a few now... i have performance pressure.... if you're not too worried about your time then you'll be doing ok.

agree on a bit more bike training.... and maybe some bike->run sessions.

also agree on the fuelling.... for an olympic you can just abot wing it on fuel & hydration if you're quick enough! for a half you'll almost definitely suffer if you don't take on enough food/drink on the bike.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Had a quick look at your site Timebandit - looks really good.

Loved the video of training for the triathlon start, but the video of the woman finishing the triathlon and getting beaten on the line almost had me blubbing...

Would highly recommend a visit to:

Endurance Source

Go to the videos section for a good laugh / cry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Thanks to you all for the advice as its all appreciated!

I put in a 45 miler on the bike yesterday and man did my a** hurt! I think i'll be breaking back out the padded shorts tomorrow when i'm back out!

I think at this stage I should be ready and willbe trying out a few different nutrition strategies over the next couple of weeks. For some reason I generally find I get stomach cramps after I swim over 1k (no i'm not drinking that much pool water:lol:). So my only worry is that swimming 2k before the bike might interfer with my ability to eat on the bike.

But then again practice makes perfect!

Steve Thanks for your positive feedback on the site!!

I'll be posting my training in the 1/2 Ireman blog as of tmrw (alot of my older stuff will be put up there as well) and would be interested to hear all your thoughts!

Anyway, i'm taking up this whole thread now!

Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Theres an Ironman taking place not far from me in a few weeks, the roads nearby are shut today for practise, dont fancy it myself. I cant even swim a few yards let alone 2 miles!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought you guys might be interested in a bit of an update!

I will be doing Dublin City Triathlon this Sunday - (which will be my First Olympic Tri) and is the only Triathlon I'm going to get a chance to do before the 1/2 IM. I reckon I should hopefully be fine for the event and it'll just be a question of how slow or fast I end up being!:p

The 1/2 IM will be just under 3 weeks from this race, so I should just have enough time to prepare for the big day (fingers crossed). I've begun to work in alot more interval training over the last 2 weeks - with a couple of Spinning classes a week, to help complement the longer outdoor bike sessions

I ran Dublin City Marathon last year with some friends, so the same group of us are going to do it again this year in October. I reckon that with the fitness from the 1/2 IM combined with some Marathon specific training, I should hopefully be able to knock a fair chunk off of last years Marathon Time! HOPEFULLY!:p

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Theres an Ironman taking place not far from me in a few weeks, the roads nearby are shut today for practise, dont fancy it myself. I cant even swim a few yards let alone 2 miles!
well i trust you'll be coming out to cheer me on :huh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts