Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will it take me to shave off 2mins 30 secs off my mile and a half run! I have my RAF selection very soon and to be a PTI i need to do it in under 10 minutes. Im struggling at moment previously being a bodybuilder. Will it take me long?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That is a difficult question not being you.

You are currently running an 8.2 /mi. Your target is 6.6 /mi. (if I have my maths right)

Trinity has increased her speed by taking hill reps very seriously. Have a look at This thread.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Bear with me on this one, since I'm kind of basing my thoughts on what I perceive as the stereotypical bodybuilder...

My guess would be that as a bodybuilder, you won't find running the most natural of activities owing to your build.

Normally for a runner to improve speed I'd say do speed/strength specific work, (intervals, tempo runs, fartlek etc)... but I think more than anything your running style could be a lot more efficient, which speedwork/strength training will help help, but I think the more you can get out running, and the more miles you can cover at a strong to steady pace - the more your running style will become more efficient.

Just a thought - typically the best gains will be had by encorporating a variety of different sessions into your training schedule.

How soon is 'very soon'? When's the assessment? I'm assuming you've ran a few 'time-trials' to figure out where you're at... have you taken any splits during these runs? (say 0.5mi time, 1mile, and finish time?) I'd say pacing is in some ways more important in shorter events since there's so little margin for error. Set off too fast and you'll blow up, start too slow and you'll never make up the lost time - Certainly something worth practising if you have chance!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
1.5 miles in less than 10 minutes for someone who isn't a regular runner is pretty tough. I always thought the army set it at 10:30 or 11:30. I'm sure there are some very fit and sporty people out there that couldn't run that time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it should be for a RAF pti 1.5 mils in 9 minutes, level 13 on bleep test 70-90 press ups ina minute and 70-90 sit ups in a minute.

I have thought that if i do it in under 10 minutes I can blag it my press ups sit ups will exceed due to strength being my main focus. I rand 1.5 miles the other day without stopping at 12.35 so i think i can get there in next 5-6 weeks.

Thanks for all your advice. And no i would rather bench 150kg than run a mile lol. Although now i have some good running shoes to help my pronated left foot and some Disturbed on my ipod to wind me up im getting there.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Well it should be for a RAF pti 1.5 mils in 9 minutes, level 13 on bleep test 70-90 press ups ina minute and 70-90 sit ups in a minute.

I have thought that if i do it in under 10 minutes I can blag it my press ups sit ups will exceed due to strength being my main focus. I rand 1.5 miles the other day without stopping at 12.35 so i think i can get there in next 5-6 weeks.

Thanks for all your advice. And no i would rather bench 150kg than run a mile lol. Although now i have some good running shoes to help my pronated left foot and some Disturbed on my ipod to wind me up im getting there.
Sorry if this sounds a bit defeatist (you now know why I'm not in the military) but I would be very surprised if you could knock off more than 2.5 minutes off a 1.5 mile time in 6 weeks, especially if you were pushing hard on your 12:35 time. It's hard enough knocking a minute off a 10k PB. After 3 years of running my 1.5 mile PB has dropped only from around 10:20 to 8:32. But good luck in any case.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry if this sounds a bit defeatist (you now know why I'm not in the military) but I would be very surprised if you could knock off more than 2.5 minutes off a 1.5 mile time in 6 weeks, especially if you were pushing hard on your 12:35 time. It's hard enough knocking a minute off a 10k PB. After 3 years of running my 1.5 mile PB has dropped only from around 10:20 to 8:32. But good luck in any case.
I went from not being able to do 1.5 miles to doing it in 12:30 in 5 weeks. I knocked it down to 11:48 but then I had to take time off due to injury and it's at 12:38 again.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, it would be challenging, but it probably can be done. I suggest you up your weekly mileage & throw in some short intervals eg. 8 or 10 1/4 mile repeats 1ce/week. What's your current weekly mileage like?

I always do really badly at the bleep test; most of my swearwords are foreign and don't register :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts