Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i'm a complete newbie on this forum and just wanted to ask a question.

I did a 1.5 mile run not to long ago and completed it in 8:55 but i want to get fast what is the best and quickest way to do so? When i did that time i had never trained my teachers were very suprised. I currently weigh 70kg and 6 ft tall can anyone help?? thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi there

I used to be a PTI in the reserve forces and the 1.5 mile run you are doing is actually used for the British Army. The cut off time for soldiers is 10½ minutes for male under 30s. Therefore you are doing well with your run time. The fastest I have seen this run done was on a course in Brecon the guy did it in just under 7 minutes (but then again he was form a rather special regiment). I would suggest that you do some high intensity interval training if you would like to knock off a few seconds. That being said you are already doing well.

Cheers

Chalky

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was actually the reason I signed up to this forum - For tips on running that distance. [As the above poster says - The British Army uses it] 8:55 seems like an awesome time, let alone 7!

Chalky; So High Intensity Interval training can help with the times? Would it also help with endurance? As I am rather unfit at the moment, and after 1.2 miles I can be pretty out of breath and generally knackered! I'm keen to try anything though.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Batter said:
Hi there i'm a complete newbie on this forum and just wanted to ask a question.

I did a 1.5 mile run not to long ago and completed it in 8:55 but i want to get fast what is the best and quickest way to do so? When i did that time i had never trained my teachers were very suprised. I currently weigh 70kg and 6 ft tall can anyone help?? thanks
how fast do you want to get?

1.5m in 8.55 is sub 6 min/miles

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
As trin says, your time is already very fast - but doing 1/2 mile repeats with short rest periods should help you improve your cadence and running efficiency.

Moddy... intervals would improve strength, and to some extent your endurance would improve as your body gets used to the distance... but to improve your endurance quicker you'd be better to run slower and longer. Once you run 3-4miles at a slower pace quite regularly then, 1.5miles should seem a breeze!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys..... I know running 1.5 miles in 8:55 is good but my mates went to lympstone last year with my college and u run 1.5 miles before getting times on the 1.5 mile run back and they did it in 8:00 dead!! which is pretty awsome! i would like to get under 8 mins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts