Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, i just have this sort of problem right here..

I am trying to do 1.5 in under 9 mins 18 secs, for the army, my current best effort is 9:36, but, most of the time, i face this issue i do 0.5 miles in like under 3 mins, then my 2nd lap, i stop waaaaay too much to rest, because i feel as if i was about to vomit, and the food keeps coming up or i feels like it, and i end up with 10 mins..

I am trying to drop it to under 9:18 before 7th of january, is this possible? What i do is 1.5mile run for 2 days, take 1 day rest, but in my training days i go gym, and do pressups, pullups , and situps.

I want FAST results.. 2 months.. i know its possible as some guy dropped it from 11 mins to 8.50 in 2-3 weeks, but if it wasnt for the feeling sick issue i would be able to do it, im training specialy for it like 1 and a half week now

Any techniques to it?

I ussualy eat some cerial before running, give it an hour before running, but in general, i eat pizzas, go mcdonalds, sometimes skip lunch.. like any other teenager of 16 yrs old would .. Maybe it has something to do with the food i eat.

Oh and 1 last problem, whenever i finish doing my run, liek for the next 2 days i feel really bad in my lower leg, where the bone is, i can last doing a long run for an hour and not feel any pain afterwards.. but since ive started 1.5 mile run, i have to take painkillers at night, so i could fall asleep..

Sorry i didnt mean to write an essay on this, but any tips would be highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Hoax

I would recommend allowing your body 2 hours or at least 90 minutes before you eat and run.

As for quick results if we knew the definite answer we all be millionaires! Do you have a track near you?

Ideal sessions which will help you improve would be 10 x 90 second sprint efforts - run hard for 90 seconds then take 75 seconds recovery (jog or walk), then repeat (do this x 10). This will help improve your lactic threshold and in turn improve your running economy, the bodies ability to run at a specific workload but at a reduced physiological cost.

Or try 4 x 0.5 mile reps in sub 3 minutes (aim for 2.50) Between each effort take 2 minutes recovery.

Or try 8 x 400 (0.25 mile) HARD with 90 seconds recovery between each effort.

Continue with the 2 other longer runs, keep these easy though. Think about your diet also, 9 minutes for 1.5 miles is 6 minute miling which is pretty tough, try to cut the crap out of your diet, if this test is important then you will. Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated.

In terms of running style, run on your toes (so you can propel yourself further forward) and keep your arms, shoulders and hand relaxed. Try not to tense your shoulders, this will effect your stride length. Keep your stride length long. Finally and most importantly get your breathing into some kind of rhythm, listening to the tapping of your feet - tap, tap, breath... etc.. I know it sounds crazy but it will help.

PACE YOURSELF also - no point going off like a headless chicken if you are going to blow up after 3 minutes! Hold back slightly and finish strong! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Real Runners,

Thank You so much for reply, i havent checked on this topic for ages, as i thought no one knew the answer, but you did.

First, yes i do have a track near me, 800M, that's where i train.

Secondly, How does this training schedule look like, considering i have just above 7 weeks left until the test?

MON: 1.5 Mile run best effort
TUE: 10x90 secs Sprints (75 secs rest jog or walk)
WED: Day off
THU: 4 x 0.5 mile reps in sub 3 minutes (aim for 2.50) Between each effort take 2 minutes recovery
FRI: 1.5 Mile run best effort
SAT: 8 x 400 (0.25 mile) HARD with 90 seconds recovery between each effort
SUN: Day off

·
Registered
32 Posts
No problems Hoax - Great that you have a track near you. Use it and work on your speed. As for the programme which have mentioned above, its too much quality, your body needs time to recover. You will break down after 2 weeks. As for the 7 weeks thats fine, just train as hard as you can!

See programme below - this is what I would recommend:

Mon (day 1): 25 minutes easy running, at end of run do 6 x 70m sprints with walk back to start as your recovery.
Tues (day 2): 10 x 90 sec sprint efforts (covering hopefully 400+ metres) 75 sec recovery. Follow this off with a good warm down - 15 minutes easy jog.
Weds (day 3): DAY OFF
Thurs(day 4): 4 x 0.5 mile reps in sub 3 mins (aim for 2.50's) 2 mins recovery between each rep.
Fri (day 5): 25 minutes easy running. Recovery run, flush all the lactic out of body - keep this very easy.
Sat (day 6): DAY OFF
Sun (day 7): 2 x 1.5 mile efforts, take 6 minutes recovery between each.
Mon (day 8): 30 minutes easy running - keep it easy, recovery run.
Tues (day 9): 8 x 400 (0.25 mile) HARD with 90 seconds recovery between each effort
Weds (day 10): DAY OFF
Thurs (day 11): 4 x 0.5 mile reps in sub 3 mins (aim for 2.50's) 2 mins recovery between each rep.
Fri (day 12): 35 minutes easy running. Recovery run, flush all the lactic out of body - keep this very easy.
Sat (day 13): DAY OFF
Sun (day 14): Hills - 3 sets of 4 x 40 seconds steep hills (sprint up the hill and jog quickly back down). On your 4th hill walk back down instead of running down (this is your recovery between the sets). Once back at the bottom of the hill sprint up the hill and jog back down another 4 times (repeat this process 3 times, so 12 hills in total).

Repeat 14 day programme again. Good luck Hoax and keep us posted!

Also be sure to do at least a 10 minute warm up and warm down on session days. DO NOT worry about this warm up and warm down on easy run days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Programme, THANK YOU VERY MUCH :) Loads of variety so it won't get boring, i absolutely love it. Well, I am deffinately looking forward to it on monday :) Again, thanks alot. This programme seems tough, for me (which is what i like, a challenge) and planning out is really clever. Ill keep post on this topic in a few weeks time, to keep the improvements updated :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
RR - I've enjoyed reading your programme for Hoax. Glad I don't have to do it. Just one question though: Does a DAY OFF (for this kind of hard training programme) literally mean no exercise at all, or is that a day that other activities like swimming, cycling or gym work can be done instead?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Karen - Pleased you have enjoyed reading the programme. Day Off literally means day off, a time for the body to totally recover, the programme is quite intense, therefore it is critical that Hoax fully recovers and performs as well as he can during the head sessions.

Hoax - good luck, I am pleased you approve of the programme, it has a bit of variety in it, so it will hopefully keep you motivated. Make no doubt about it, its tough but it will hopefully help you achieve your goal. As for your diet, you know deep down whats good food and whats not! Lay off the Mcdonalds for a while, drink plenty of water - energy drinks and sleep well (lay off the heavy nights also).

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will Deffinately Reply Once a week, to tell you guys how it goes as some of you depending on me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello guys, first of all BIG APOLOGY to all of you, for not replying for so long, but i have my reasons. Just when i was about to finish week 1 training and do my 2x 1.5 mile run, on saturday (my free day off) i went skateboarding with some friends, and managed to get my knee injured, so for a week, i didnt do training, 4 days i stayed in bed, on saturday i went to do a 15 min easy run, to see how it goes. If it will be painfull or not, during running. So basicly i didnt have alot to post, about my improvements. Anyway, on Monday (this week) i started Week 1 training again. i Just came back from 4x0.5 Mile run. And so far that's how it went:

On Tuesday, 10x90 secs sprinting is quet tough, about from 5th set, my sprinting turned into ''fast running'' lost energy, although i did try my best, to keep a fast pace, and i followed the timings exactly, 75 secs rest, no cheating (hehe) as i do have a stopwatch.

Thursday (Today), 4x0.5 mile run, was quet hard, as i only managed to get the following times:

1st set: 3:02
2nd set: 3:13
3rd set: 3:24
4th set: 3:40

HOWEVER, the wind, did give me a hard time during running, as my track, is outside, especialy when running around the corners, it causes me to slow down, at 1 point, during running, for a sec i was on 1 foot, during running, wind was blowing really hard, i kinda lost balance for a second, and in general especialy around corners, it was pushing me to the side.

But, i dont expect myself to get it everything perfect the 1st week, or the second, however, i think in 3rd week it should get easier.

So right now, i am left with 4 and a half weeks, God help me, if i am ever going to make it to parachute regiment and run 1.5 in 9:18, although i do try my best to train hard, and give it my best shot.

Also, 1 more question i forgot to mension on my 1st post: I do go to the gym about 5 times a week, to do weight training..

Day 1: Working on chest and biceps
Day 2: Back shoulders, and triceps
Day 3 OFF

And repeat

Is it healthy to do weight training in my situation? I am desperate to get that 1.5 mile in 9:18.

Again thank you all, i will reply on sunday, after i did my 2x1.5 mile :)

And so sorry for not replying so long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i did a run today 2x1.5 mile run

It went really bad for me, im beggining to think i will never make it.. 9:18

1st set: 10:27
2nd set 12:22

Wonderful.. :| Might as well give up now :( Maybe im just physicaly weak, because doing 1.5 in 9:18 seems like it will take me 10 years of training to get it down

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't give up Hoax. I think though you do a heck of a lot of training. Maybe Real Runners will come back on and give you some advice about mixing the running with the weight training.

Are you physically strong enough for the paras? If so could you cut back the weight training for now and concentrate on the running? Not to cut it out completely just reduce the weight training until the run is over.

You haven't said ifyou have followed what RR scheduled for you but you need to get those half hour slow runs in, maybe try them after your weight sessions. Keep concentrating on the reps of 90 secs and half miles, but try for more even times. It looks like you are starting off your speed session too fast. Slow down the first few reps and you will find that you can maintain the same speed right to the end of the session.

Running 2 X 1.5 mile time trials at just over 10 minutes is good going. I wouldn't be too disappointed with it. Remember you will be running with the other hopefuls on the day, so this will spur you on. Maybe stick in a mile time trial at the end of next week. Aim for 6 minutes, this will give you a better indication of your current form. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Keep your chin up hoax, your going to have bad days keep determined as the type of career you are going in to will require this quality... Good luck and keep trying :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all

Sorry been a way! Hoax, well done on the time trial, times were fine, do not beat yourself up just because the second time trial was way off the 9 minutes 18 seconds you are attempting to run.

How is this week going?

As for the weights, I would encourage you to back off them slightly, you are trying to get as fit as possible for the time trial in such a short space, therefore you must concentrate on the running, if you try to mix the intense training programme with weights 5 times a week, you are going to just break down and become injured.

The 4 x 0.5 mile session went well, especially if the wind was bad.

1st set: 3:02
2nd set: 3:13
3rd set: 3:24
4th set: 3:40

How did you feel on the first set?! Good time (3.02) - remember race pace will be 3.06 per 0.5 mile. If the wind was strong then you would have broken 3 minutes during your first rep, this should give you confidence . Again remember after the first set, you would have been 1/3rd of the way through the race.

Keep up the good work, hang in and don't beat yourself up, you still have 4 weeks! Good luck Hoax.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts