Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

Looking for some methods and advice on increasing my speed and endurance. Ill probably use this thread as a training journal to keep notes on progress.

Statistics
sex - Male
height - 182cm (just 5 foot 11)
weight - 88kg (appx 14 stone)
Bodyfat 13%
Age - 22.

Current training regime.

mon - weight training
tues - rest day or 1.5 mile run
wed - weight training
thurd - 1.5 mile run
fri - weight trining
sat - rest day
sun - 1.5 mile run

Goals

* Inproving fitness and avoiding the gain of fat (main hobby is bodybuilding)
* achieving 1.5 miles in < 10 min
* ...Then moving onto 3 miles

* in a few weeks i will be moving onto a "cutting" phaze of my training so cardio will be adapted for optimum fat burning. Any suggestions? I plan on either cardio very first thing on an empty belly or High intensity interval training.

Current progress

Attempt Time
1 13 min 30 sec
2 12 min 40 sec
3 12 min 10 sec
4 11 min 30 sec
5 11 min 10 sec

Things i need help with

* learning to pace myself. ended up having to stop on my last attempt as i went out too strong
* Methods of training
* How long i should aim to achieve my goal in

If you are still reading...sorry about the long post. I like to add all the details. :rolleyes:

Thanks

SJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can do what you need to do on a treadmill and you can do them before or after weights ... I often do around 15 - 20 mins before I do weights and it doesnt affect the weights at all ...

Do some tempo runs so that would be a sedate pace for 5 mins and then up the pace for 5 mins and then back down again so this gets your heart rate up ..

If you want to lose fat though you would be better off doing long and slow runs as these are the ones that burn the fat ...

You could also do fartlek where you do bursts of speed and then slow down again ...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply

I dont run on a treadmill, infact we dont have any cardio equipment at my gym. Just Olympic free weights and the odd machine. Only run outdoor...besides...its allot more fun!

Regarding the methods fo fat burning..Yes I agree, i was thinking either longer and slower runs or the HIIT which involves the sprints you talk of. The latter isnt ideal for first thing in the morning i dont think as it is nasty stuff!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Early runs are better for buring fat as well as you then burn through the day rather than at night when your metobolic rate slows ....

If you have access to a local track or park say with a football pitch you could do on a football pitch .. sprint the longest part and then jog the smallest part and then sprint again etc etc that will give you something to aim for.

Depends what you want because you are saying you want fat loss which is long slow runs and then you say you want to be able to do short fast ones??

You really need to decide what you want to do a runner will do both because they need to but if depends what your ultimate aim is ... you could do fat 5k runs

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interval training involving sprinting sections, walking and jogging sections is supposed to be the most effective method of burning fat although some would argue that the longer and pretty slow paced one that you have mentioned are the best.

WHen i say first thing, im talking of some low intensity cardio first thing before breakfast. Many guys swear by this method although i imagine it is very catabolic. Supplementing with BCAA powder might be a way around this without introducing calories.

I like the sound of the football park sprints. ill remember that one and give it a shot some time soon. Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think I understand the basics of cutting, and using it as a tool to reduce your body fat ratio - though if i'm honest I think it will probably hamper your ability to improve as a runner a fair bit. From your first post though it would appear that losing fat is your main goal, in which case fair enough - but I'd certainly never try an all out effort whilst underfuelled, again just my personal point of view.

I think cuprasi has advised pretty well really, and having a knowledge of bodybuilding too I'm sure he is able to be more sympathetic to your situation... I'm just a runner with scrawny little arms ;)

To reach your goal of sub 10mins for 1.5 miles... try and do some sustained efforts and shorter than goal distance, but faster than goal pace. 400m and 800m intervals would probably work well for you. Football pitch sprints will improve speed but only really improve explosive power and not do a great deal for your speed endurance. Hope that helps a little :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richardsimkiss said:
I think I understand the basics of cutting, and using it as a tool to reduce your body fat ratio - though if i'm honest I think it will probably hamper your ability to improve as a runner a fair bit. From your first post though it would appear that losing fat is your main goal, in which case fair enough - but I'd certainly never try an all out effort whilst underfuelled, again just my personal point of view.

I think cuprasi has advised pretty well really, and having a knowledge of bodybuilding too I'm sure he is able to be more sympathetic to your situation... I'm just a runner with scrawny little arms ;)
Pretty much spot on mate

when cutting, my diet will be mainly protein and fat based with carbs only around weigh training. there will be be no carbs inparticular arount cardio time to maximise fat burning.

Over a few weeks this will defo hamper running and weigh training performance, but achieve the desired result if i keep everything tight.

Cuprasi made some good points that ill defo take on board.

at the moment, im still bulking, or aimint to build muscle, improve fitness and avoid gaining fat. its a tricky balance to strike.

Thanks for the Input

SJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chuckle at scrawny runners....

I am not a body builder by the way I do weights and split the groups to tone up and I have a good knowledge of weight training but not body building as thats like going from Club runner to Elite athlete ...

I am going to lose some muscle weight to be a little bit leaner

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with Richard, speedwork will definately help you meet your goal of 1.5 miles in less than 10mins. Just be careful that you don't start losing too much muscle when you start cutting the carbs though.

I'd also suggest not running on an empty stomach - its quite likely that the lack of food may actually work against you. A small snack like a piece of fruit and a glass of water beforehand would be a help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grant said:
I agree with Richard, speedwork will definately help you meet your goal of 1.5 miles in less than 10mins. Just be careful that you don't start losing too much muscle when you start cutting the carbs though.

I'd also suggest not running on an empty stomach - its quite likely that the lack of food may actually work against you. A small snack like a piece of fruit and a glass of water beforehand would be a help.
Ill Give the sprints a shot at the next opportunity. Any suggestions of how many etc etc? I need all the help i can get with this running carry on :huh: new to this stuff!

When cutting, the carbs are dropped and fats slightly increased (in ratio terms) ...but with overall less calories. This helps keep the body in a decent anabolic state as carbs play no direct part of building muscle whereas proteins and fats are the main players. I should therefor maintain the muscle mass i have built, while losing the fat. If its not done properly, muscle will also be lost as you said.

I will either run on an empty stomach or with just a little protein. The reason for this is to maximise the fat burning that will occur. sugary carbs from a piece of fruit aint really ideal for what i will be doing although i will have plenty water.

Cheers

SJ

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As long as you're sure it's what you want to be doing that's fine - personally I don't see it as particularly healthy to be cutting out any food types from your diet - particularly when the one you're cutting out is your bodies best fuel for the activity you're taking part in! Though again, our goals are different ;)

For improving speed, just google 'speedwork sessions' or something and you'll be sure to find plenty to suit - personally I'd be looking at 400m-1600m repeats, though some with 200m repeats may well be worthwhile too considering your goal distance.

Do you think you'll perhaps take part in any races? or is it purely to compliment your weight training to help burn fat?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts