Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to this please bare with me, i have completed 2 half marathons and i am due to do another 1 this year. i am running 6 miles a day for training but i am struggling with major blisters in the area from the ball of my foot to the heel i have used compeed plasters and had various pairs of trainers and socks i ran the last half marathon with 2 compeed plasters on each foot with a dressing covering that and boxing tape around my feet i was determined that i would do the race i am now training in asics gel gt-2120 trainers and i am still struggling help i am getting upset with myself now and i just think is it worth it i want to run but i cant carry on like this any advise greatfully received thanks
:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have tied them nornally as far as i know not too tight when i took my trainers back they told me to use the loop lacing but this hasnt helped

·
Registered
835 Posts
Peds comment on socks may well be relevant. I'm currently nursing a blister caused by a fold in my socks. I shall be very careful in future to ensure that putting on the shoes is not a hurried operation.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hmm... And 1000 mile socks are supposed to prevent blistering? I did try them for a while, but found them too uncomfortable. Maybe worth experimenting with different socks. Sorry can't be any more help.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
Hmm... And 1000 mile socks are supposed to prevent blistering? I did try them for a while, but found them too uncomfortable. Maybe worth experimenting with different socks. Sorry can't be any more help.:embarrassed:
If it helps, I wear normal socks when running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that i will try different socks its just difficult to train if blisters arnt healed as you well know if you have any other suggestions please let me know

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
What are we classing as "normal" for socks? :huh:
The black ankle socks I wear to work, weddings, funerals, restuarants, hospital appointments etc and that the Mrs Scr8pe gets 2 for £3 at Sainbury's...... however, there is one activity I cant wear them for ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am a little late joining the conversation, but.... I would recommend More Mile socks (they are grey & white, and I think they are called Oslo, or London) they are available on the Start Fitness website, and are actually fairly cheap. They feel a little rough on your feet but I have never had a single blister whilst wearing them, and I have run a marathon, half maraton, and done the Hadrians Wall walk in them.

I would also persevere with the compeeds, I have always found them to be really good, are you putting them on correctly?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Long shot, but have you perhaps tried giving your feet a chance to recover? If you're getting blisters but continuing to run on them, the body's going to struggle to repair itself... Other than that I don't know, just make sure your shoes and socks fit you well and are comfortable - maybe try a bit of talc in your socks? (clutching at straws now!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's a bit of advice from a reborn old timer.

Soak your feet in a weak solution of potassium permangenate. Frequently use something like Body shop peppermint foot lotion and worry ye not about thy socks, apply vaseline and massage it in well before a run. Blisters are usually caused by friction. Thus with vaseline even if your shoes are ill fitting there won't be a friction element. We used to use vaseline for "joggers tit" as well in the olden days.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
brumbear said:
Here's a bit of advice from a reborn old timer.

Soak your feet in a weak solution of potassium permangenate. Frequently use something like Body shop peppermint foot lotion and worry ye not about thy socks, apply vaseline and massage it in well before a run. Blisters are usually caused by friction. Thus with vaseline even if your shoes are ill fitting there won't be a friction element. We used to use vaseline for "joggers tit" as well in the olden days.

Another Vaseline man.........

Welcome Bear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have a few suggestions from the others the nike socks and a few others it looks like i am off sock shopping i will keep my fingers crossed and hope it works i appreciate all your help thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts