Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have 7 days out of 14 that I can run and for a 10k runner I was wondering what 7 sessions I should on a 2 week cycle please?

I presume some steady runs, some fartlek and some intervals.

Any help would be appreciated.

I currently run 5-7 miles steady over undulating terrain at the moment but with no real structure.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
lizardman said:
Hi!

I have 7 days out of 14 that I can run and for a 10k runner I was wondering what 7 sessions I should on a 2 week cycle please?

I presume some steady runs, some fartlek and some intervals.

Any help would be appreciated.

I currently run 5-7 miles steady over undulating terrain at the moment but with no real structure.

Many thanks.
If you want to get faster I would introduce some speed sessions into your training schedule. Do you have a running track nearby? Doing some faster paced short sessions can really improve your 10k time as it gets your body used to working at a higher level of intensity. You might want to try some 400m circuits with a 30 second rest between each repetition for example.

Be sure to warm up well before embarking on any speed work. Have you got a target time in mind?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always found pyramid sessions worked for me. 200, 300, 400, 500, 800, 1000 and back down again with 100m recovery after each rep (200m as a special treat after the 1000m!)

Certainly worth a go if you can get to the track, alternatively, if you have access to a treadmill rather than a track, then try it on a timed basis eg:

4 min warm-up
2min at 12kph @ 1% incline
1min at 9kph @ 4% incline
2min at 13kph @ 1% incline
1 min at 9kph @ 5% incline etc... then back down again.

Obviously pace is according to how fast you are, but the higher incline recoveries are good!

:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you can join a running club then they'll probab;y have a track or interval session that you can go to. Not only does this mean they'll set the set but also you're more likely to do the whole thing. I struggle to do a speed set of my own back. But really enjoy a club run session..

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's difficult to say without knowing your weaknesses - is it speed or endurance. However you can build an effective framework around a greater variety of run. Within those 7 runs run and get 2 longer runs of 1hr plus in - these should be easy. 2 tempo sessions withte tempo section at just over race pace for 20 mins. I would maybe warmup for 10 mins, down for ten with the middle 20 at tempo, or maybe run out for 23 mins and try adn run back along the same route in 20.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If your current runs are all 5 to 7 miles, I'd definitely add one or 2 longer, slower runs - probably 10 to 12 miles. Then all above suggestions abouyt intervals and speed work are valid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts