Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading an article on Dan Robinson which says there were 105 British men that finished the 1985 London Marathon in sub 2:20.

Only a handful achieve that now.

He's given his reasons why he thinks there has been such a drop in numbers.

What do you think the reason for such a decline might be?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
especially not the way i do it
PMSL! :lol: humour is all in the timing eh... not sure why but I've not laughed so hard in ages! That comment just tickled me a treat!

Numerous factors... personally I just think there's not enough discipline and determination in people nowadays. Physical exercise is hard work, being the best is incredibly hard, so kids would rather re-enact their sporting heroes on the computer where they don't have to endure a moments pain!

Steve's right... it's just not got the sex appeal... if anyone watched that program on Colin Jackson last week and the clip it showed of Jamaican Schools and sports events, now THAT is what you call a sports day, kids competing in front of a 30,000 strong stadium of other school kids, all cheering for them...

I could go on all day about what I think - but I shan't!... not yet anyway ;)
Was this an article in RW? If so i'll take a peek when I get home :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
...and I don't think the kids there got certificates for taking part....liberal tosh that!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Too many lazy kids high on junk food, MTV and nintendo; too much money in other sports like football; lack of belief amongst GB athletes; big chips on the shoulders of athletes currently competing (they whine about funding, talk the talk, but can't compete with the best or are happy with lower medal; and public runs becoming fun runs where the aspiration is simply to complete the distance rather than push youself to a good time; and where it is acceptable to run the race dressed as a monkey.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I agree with you there JBB... of course I admire anyone for taking up running, regardless of their ability, it's a fantastic thing to do and I'd rather see everyone walking around a 10k course dressed as a monkey than have people sitting at home gorging on KFC every night.

But in terms of promoting UK Athletics - to see someone (for example) dressed in a monkey suit get more respect and recognition than the guy who finished in 4th place... it's no wonder there's not the desire there once was!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think the doco on the marathan de sables sums it all up. In the whole programme they spent no more than 30 seconds reporting that a british guy was in the top 20, which is an amazing feat since the race is so tough. They didn't even name him. they spent 59 minutes and 30 seconds focusing on some less talented runners that took up running late in life and just wanted to complete it. Good on them for doing it, and I have a lot of respect for them, but I would have rather seen the British guy at the front pushing the boundaries of human endurance rather than these other runners who spent most of the time whining about how hard the conditions were and crying when they had doubts about their ability to complete. It's a 150 mile race through the desert in 6 days. What the hell did they expect?

What also really annoys me is the arrogance of some our sprinters. They flex their muscles and pretend they are the shit, yet none of them has a chance of even reaching the final of the Olympics. There are US college level runners (possibly even some highschool athletes) that would destroy them on the track. Im sorry, but until you have run a a few sub 10 second hundred metres you are nothing in world terms. And relay gold is nothing. The americans hardly consider it a proper event.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Does a lot of this stem from the education policy of discouraging competition at a young age?

If you don't grow up with a must win attitude how can you care as an adult.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I could go on and on about that particular point of Hrun's..been saying it for years.
School sports days......what a farce..........

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Could it be that active kids are doing other things. Surfing, falling off skateboards, mountain-biking etc.
That would explain some of it............

....trouble is the most the majority of kids seem to be abkle to do these days...I generalise I know...is press the remote buttons.

·
Registered
131 Posts
anyone stumbling across this thread would think you are all smug, self-satisfied whingers.

i know from all the fantatsic support i have recieved as a very amateur runner who, come my half marathon on Sep 7th will be very, very pleased indeed to just 'complete the distance' that this is not the case so please dont take this rant personally.

look at the Chinese Olympic team or even the old East European regimes. Very succesful, very competative but hardly a model of how to treat your kids i.e. hothouse them and fill them full of drugs in order to win, win, win and promote the greater glory of the nation. is that would you prefer to see?

like so many myths of 'PC gone mad' perpetrated by a right wing press this stuff about anti-competition is b*****t. They claim on the one hand that all kids can do is 'press remote controls' and then on the other do their best to foster a climate of fear amongst parents which leads to kids being locked in their own homes where all there is to do is press buttons.

in the area i work in Glasgow a local youth sports club (which did fantastic work) has recently shut down because of a lack of adults prepared to get involved. As part of my work in the area i did a survey to find out why. the biggest single reported reason was that adult males felt uncomfortable volunteering to work with groups of children in case their motives were questioned! Whose fault is that? the 'namby pamby' liberals or the right-wing f***wits who have a vested commercial interest in keeping people scared?

also, consider the response of middle britain and their rottweiller press if any political party decided to increase taxes to build better sports facilites and to actually pay professionals to support sports amongst kids. they'd choke on their own illinformed bile.

sorry for the (slightly incoherent!) rant but i just hate seeing sensible decent people like you guys taken in by the smoke and mirrors of the right wing campaign against liberal values.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts