Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i didint do much trianing but did 10k last night, took me ages 1 hour 13. Now i am obviously pretty unfit (28 year old bloke, not overweight). NOw the last 1k my average heart rate was 196?! is this bad for me, i couldnt run much slower to be honest. I thought this would be running without oxygen so buirning up sugars etc and not fat. I thought when trianing it should be about 170 ish?! at the end of my sprting my heart rate was 203 !? again is this bad for me.

So the questuion is to run the same speed or go even faster i just need to run more and the heart rate will fall?! sorry for a mixed post but i hope you can help in any way! cheers

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I found when I did my last 10k event that my heart rate was unusually high considering my performance but I guess that could be put down to 'race day nerves'. Also, I don't think I was properly hydrated because it was an early morning start - I much prefer running in the evening. So keep an eye on your fluid intake first of all because dehydration can mean your heart has to work considerably harder.

203 bpm does seem quite high but we all have different maximum heart rates (you may just have discovered yours :p) how did you feel? The standard formula for max HR is '220 - age' and there have been a number of threads dedicated to discussing the subject, almost inevitably reaching the conclusion that the only way to discover your own max HR is to undertake a 'max stress test' - google it if you're not sure what this entails. Don't discount the fact that it could have been a glitch in the monitor - try to repeat the same kind of intensity in another run and see what kind of results you get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks Road Runner, maybe due to race nerves i suppose. Sitting before the race it was down at like 65 so i think it was working ok. More trianing me thinks is needed

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
203 is not impossible for your age.
i was 30 earlier this year and had some tests including a stress test a couple of years back which max'd out at over 200.
i've known for a while i generally run at quite a high HR.

for a 10k i'd expect to be running at a high % of my max, although my 10k time is closer to 40mins.

if you assess yourself as quite unfit then your pace would be slower for a given HR... if you can improve fitness i'd expect you might run at a similar HR / exertion level but go quicker.

gosh i've waffled now..... ermmmm i'd expect quite a high level of exertion for 'racing' a 10k no matter what the speed..... in race conditions i thin you'd run the same level of exertion but as fitness improves so should your speed for that exertion level.

(yes thats better!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks ed_m, i think i understand your waffle!! The message is just train more. Also the for letting me know the heart rate thing isnt abnormal or dangerous, always worth knowing. thanks again

·
Registered
392 Posts
Were you running with somebody. My polar has picked up another monitor and came out with high readings before, even though the thing is coded.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It'd be worth noting your HR's on your training runs etc, what HR's you achieve at different speeds etc, and you'll soon learn what's normal for you.

If I were to average 196bpm I'd be worried, but that's purely because my max HR has never gone beyond 197bpm (and that was in a max stress test)... It's been a bloody long time since i've managed >190bpm. It really is down to your personal MHR...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts