Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, managing 5K at present about two or three times a week,

Planning a 10K ...12th October at Longleat for Cancer Research, yet can't seem to get more than 5K each time i go out, training 2-3 times a week.

I am so conscious of injury after having to stop running the beginning of the year, I find as soon as I feel the slightest bit of pain I stop, so am gradually building up an extra 1K a month...

Am I being too cautious, just don't seem to be getting more than 5K each run...How should I set out a training plan so 10K is achievable in October

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just build slow and steady! I'd say you were probably being very cautious. though it's very easy to do when you've been out through an over-use injury!

If you increase your mileage by 10% each week you should be fine - if you're really worried about inury then just try and make sure you take as many preventative measures as possible including warming up and cooling down properly, and stretching if you wish, and also running on softer surfaces!

·
Registered
56 Posts
No pain, no gain ;) It does sound you are being a little bit cautious but you should always listen to your body. On the plus side you do have plenty of time to get up to the distance so you can afford to take things slowly.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
You've got over four months to go to the race, so you'll be able to do the 10km if you stick with the training.

As the others have said, build up slowly to the full distance. Adding 10% a week, even just to one of your runs, would have you up to 10km in two and a half months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts