Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am new to this site so this may be posted in the wrong place!!! so I apologise, but I need a quick answer!!
I am doing a 10k on sunday, but I had a 12 day layoff with an injury and illness. I went for a 3 mile easy run on sunday (1 week before race) and feel i need to go twice more before this sunday to get back some fitness, yet I read that its better to take it easy in the last week!!
I am a regular runner (usually 3 to 4 times a week, doing between 3 and 5 miles) and did a 10k on 7th Sept, but only done 2 runs since :(
Any one have any good advice?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It is usually better to take it easy the week before a race - IF you have been doing the hard miles in the preceding few weeks.

I don't think you are going to gain any lost fitness in the next few days, it will be a case of just getting your legs turning over again - personally I would do a couple of easy 3-4 milers, rest the day before the race, and just treat the 10k as a training run without putting any pressure on yourself to excel.

More experienced runners might have better advice though :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think it's generally considered that it takes up to around 2 weeks for your body to reap the benefits of a training run, so in your last week leading up to a race you're certainly not going to improve your fitness at all, really you just want to be keeping your muscles ticking over with a few short and slow runs, with a few short steady bursts in there from time to time (known as strides).

Ultimately you don't want to be doing anything that might leave you short of energy, or with tired muscles come race day ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it's generally considered that it takes up to around 2 weeks for your body to reap the benefits of a training run, so in your last week leading up to a race you're certainly not going to improve your fitness at all, really you just want to be keeping your muscles ticking over with a few short and slow runs, with a few short steady bursts in there from time to time (known as strides).

Ultimately you don't want to be doing anything that might leave you short of energy, or with tired muscles come race day ;)
Good advise right there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, I managed only one run since my original post because of a chesty cough. I was wanting to do two, but my legs were feeling prettty fresh on the day. It was only my 3rd 10k race and I got a P.B. and first sub 50min run :) 48.42. I even did it with a bad stitch for the last 5 k!! I guess I will need to get my breathing right now, Theres more to this running than I thought!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great run Ian, Glad it went well.

What`s next...??

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great going well done :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts