Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HHHHHHHHELP :eek:
I have my first 10k on Sunday and I havn't been able to train for the last week or so as I've had a virus :( . I'm running with my brother who is also a beginner but he has really long legs and could probably walk it just as quick as I could run :p.

Could I please have some motivation or a quick kick up the backside.

Will let you know how it goes when I eventually recover :confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
As long as you're over your virus you may find that you run quite well having had a break.

Good luck and just enjoy it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, I have just been out and done a 4.5k in 25minutes and that was with a couple of short, fast walks. My brother said he is no where near ready so at least I'll have someone to race.
Just over a day to go and feeling up for it now!!
By the way boiled eggs taste great after a run, haven't had any since I was a kid.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mickygee,

If you feel ok after your 4.5 then I'm sure you will be fine. Take it steady, make sure you don't go off too quick, run at your own pace, aim to get round rather than push yourself too much, especially if you have been ill.
Try and enjoy it, tell yourself if you run too fast, you will have a hard time beating it next time!!!

GOOD LUCK,
Keep us posted.

Lyn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck!

I have my first 10k in 2 weeks so i feel your fear!

And I know what you mean about boiled eggs after a run. I devour them with crusty bread! Hmmm, starting to get hungry now! :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guy's
Confession time. I had to quit at 3k. My lungs were burning so I had a little walk at about 1.5k and as soon as I started running again my lungs screamed at me.
So humble pie swallowed and now I've finished having a go at myself its time to take a good long look at my training schedule and get back out there.
My brother finished in 54 minutes and has promised to enter again next year so long as I'm ready to go with him.
So well done to all who competed in the Standalone 10k and we will see you next year.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mickygee,

Sounds like you weren't quite over the virus - just be careful and ease back into your training when sure your well. Build distance gradually, there's loads of good tips on the beginners and training sections here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts