Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Need some advice. Been ill recently, took a week out from the 13th. Tested the water by going on a 6miler on Monday, from then on felt considerably worse, been to docs, and he thinks it could be Glandular Fever. But I have to wait on blood tests coming back. Got my first 10k race coming up on Good Friday and I aim to be back in training by Thurs 30th. (Hopefully). Should I go back into my old training routine at a slower pace (25m per week) or should I ease into it with some shorter runs.
From the 30th I'd only have 16 days
It would be a shame to not get a decent time, as I've been doing a lot of good training. I wouldn't want to see it go to waste because of my illness.
What you would you do??

Cheers
Stupot

·
Registered
105 Posts
there are always other races. if it is fairly serious then all you will do is exacerbate the illness and make it a lot longer time until you can race again. taking it easy for a week will not harm your preparations and may even do you some good. listen to your body.

i have ignored this advice several times, always to my detrement.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
As chrisity says... listen to your body!

Your body is fighting a virus, to put it under any more stress will only make things worse and it'll take a lot longer for you to recover.

There are many other races... my advice is don't risk it

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi stupot :)
Unless it is very, very, VERY important for you to do it, don't run when you have any type of fever.
And no matter how important, do not race!
It may be life threatening.

Like chrisity said, there are always other races.

Hope you'll feel better soon :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
As above... Do not race if you're not well. Do not even train if you're not well. There are other races, even if it means that you feel you have wasted some good training.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice! I'll see how I progress. The general theme there is then not to come back too soon.
Its kinda hard to gauge sometimes when you think you up to getting out there, then you get knocked back. Its makes me soooo frustrated!!!
Hopefully I'll be fit enough to even plod round my first 10k. Who knows!!

Thanks again
Stupot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts