Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a 10k run next Monday and am looking for some last minute training tips..

I haven't trained for it in the form of timing myself but I generally jog 3-4 times a week to keep fit anyway. I just completed a 10k on the treadmill in 45 minutes and am aiming for a similar time in the actual race. However, I feel that it is easier to keep up with the speed on the treadmill as one can set the pace and stick to it. Having never timed/measured myself road running, I wonder whether I can keep that pace up.

With regards to training, I aim to do 3 more 10k treadmill runs (tue, wed and thur) and then rest for 3 days before the race. Is this sensible? Can anyone else offer any advice that may help? I didn't really get out of breath during the 45 minutes so I feel that the main obstacle will be my legs giving up!

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I plan to do my first 10k in a few weeks too. Your times sound good to me on the treadmill, am sure you'll be fine.:)

Have you done all your training on the treadmill?

·
Registered
835 Posts
AdamD said:
Thanks

Well, to be honest, I have only done 2 10k's on the treadmill, both 45 mins which were fine but I am just not sure about keeping the pace up when I have nothing to tell me how fast/far I am travelling!
You really should find time to get off the treadmill, they have there uses (especially during the winter months) but running off the treadmill is a different animal. The surface is not perfectly smooth and you have outside influences to deal with such as wind, rain, traffic, dogs and bravado teenagers.

It seems I'm not painting a particularly nice picture, but far from it. Road running beats the treadmill any day. Get out and enjoy. When it comes to telling how fast you're travelling, see my signature.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Adam

I don't want to offer bad news but generally running on a treadmill you will be quicker than road running as you have already mentioned that the pace is consistent you will be around 30 seconds a mile slower.

I worked out that your 10k in 45 mins you ran 7:15, so expect to perhaps run around 7:45 ish, you may even run a bit faster due to race conditions.

I hope I haven't depressed you and I hope you go out and do 7:15 on the day.

Good luck TT :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'm going to be bold and say you'll probably manage sub 41:00 if you push yourself for the best time you can manage... Having others around you makes SUCH a difference to percieved energy exertion. Best of luck!! :d

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,

I used to run religiously on the treadmill for about 4 years doing 10K in about 45 mins and i agree with twingle toes after starting road running only about 6 months ago (not really touched the treadmill since)! Unlike a treadmill you have to take into account many factors eg hills, road service and weather conditions. My time went from 45 min to just sub 50mins something i'm working on. The key is to enjoy it and do what you physically feel able too and not feel disheartened if the times alittle slower.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Good luck with the race, I hope all goes well with it.

As the others mentioned already, I think the two main pieces of advice would be to not sprint off fast at the start and also enjoy the event. No matter what time you get, you'll get a PB!

I did my training for my first 5km on a treadmill and was only a minute or so away from my time when I actually raced on the road. Fingers crossed that you make your time.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice..

I certainly think that running with so many other people will help as I will have several targets! I always run alone so never really have that target ahead of me. However, I am sure that I will lose 5 minutes to rain/wind etc and the fact that I don't have proper running shoes; an old pair of gym trainers instead, nothing like being prepared!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't stress enough the need for proper running shoes out on the road i did 8 miles in an old gym pair when i started running thinking this will be fine but ended up hardly being able to walk for about three weeks (stress fractures). I learned the hard way i just advice air on the site of caution when running in old shoes and listen to what your feet are telling you! I ignored them and paid a costly price!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Even if you have had no problems so far, this isn't to say you aren't doing damage and you might find you suddenly develop a serious, long-term injury. I'm not the most sensible when it comes to running shoes (Until recently I did too many miles before replacing them), but you should ALWAYS at least wear shoes made for running. Gym shoes, or non-running shoes, are a no no under all circumstances. If you don't want to go for full gait analysis and spend £80 + on a pair of shoes, at the very least go and buy some off the shelf shoes from the running shoes section of a sports shop. New Balance have always suited me well. Seriously, it is not worth risking your health by running in inappropriate footwear.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
A bit of advice I'd like to add is don't take advice from people on this forum when it comes down to which manufacturer to favour. I constantly read footwear-related posts that recommend brands of shoes that I've tried in the past and have really hated. Conversely, there are also the posts by people who would never go near the shoes that I swear by. It's a personal thing, just like almost every other aspect of running. There may, unfortunately, be a period of trial and error before you find your "perfect" shoe.
I would even hesitate taking advice from some of the staff in retail outlets, who may steer you in the direction of certain models on the basis of their own commission potential, or even that they should get rid of old/over stocked models.:mad:

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
A bit of advice I'd like to add is don't take advice from people on this forum when it comes down to which manufacturer to favour. I constantly read footwear-related posts that recommend brands of shoes that I've tried in the past and have really hated. Conversely, there are also the posts by people who would never go near the shoes that I swear by. It's a personal thing, just like almost every other aspect of running. There may, unfortunately, be a period of trial and error before you find your "perfect" shoe.
I would even hesitate taking advice from some of the staff in retail outlets, who may steer you in the direction of certain models on the basis of their own commission potential, or even that they should get rid of old/over stocked models.:mad:
Good points Ped, trial and error I suppose at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
shoes don't matter as much as some people are making out...

my shoes cost me £20 and i haven't had any problems with them...

i know people who have spend a fortune on 'special' shoes and have shoe collections...

but not me, lol...

·
Registered
5 Posts

richardsimkiss said:
I'm going to be bold and say you'll probably manage sub 41:00 if you push yourself for the best time you can manage... Having others around you makes SUCH a difference to percieved energy exertion. Best of luck!! :d
Today i ran 4.3 miles in the belfast marathon relay, enjoyed it, sun shone, great atmosphere, time not great but already setting new goal of 10k in june. Can anyone suggest a training schedule for my next outing, i can probably only average a ten minute mile at present.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts