Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 10k run tonight just to see how I felt and boy what a great run I had. The first 3 miles were a bit tough to be honest, not sure whats up with me just now but I am getting short of breath and a bit tight chested but then all of a sudden it all cleared up and the second half of the run felt great.
Got home in 52mins but what was really annoying was I had my GPS out yesterday and had it on the bike setting, went out today and totally forgot about changing it back to running :(

So with my 10k race this Sunday I hope to get under the 50mins which I don't think is to crazy to aim for.

Really liking the cooler nights but I will need to get some hi-viz stuff as my routes are starting to get darker earlier.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
what difference does it make being in bike mode? is it different readouts or zones or something? I'm guessing the key stats are the same? (speed, HR, distance, pace)

Was the 52mins an all out effort? I'd say <50min is certainly achievable on Sunday for you - give it your all and see what kind of a chunk you can take out of it ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike mode doesnt show you the zones i.e. slow jog, jog, slow run etc. It does show you your distance but the pace is different as well because its taking it as your riding. Its not the end of the world but I just like to keep all my runs in the run folder on the training center and all my bike (kiting) distances in the bike section :)

Was the run an all out session yesterday, honestly, probably not since I know I have a 10mile run with the club tonight. The good thing was last nights run was with some hills in it and I usually slow to a walk or a very slow jog on these hills but not last night, I pushed up and over them and felt great! The course on Sunday is pretty flat as well I believe so getting below the 50mins should be doable.....out of interest, what is an average time for 10k? As you know I have never done one so don't know what to expect.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Have a look at the results for last years event, that's the best way to guage it! :) I've no idea what the average is... I guess it very much depends on the event itself.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is its just a charity event so they don't actually show any official results. I think its more for the fun of it and raising money for the charity.

I guess I will just see what happens on the day and aim to get under the 50mins for a new PB :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
in which case you may well find yourself right up the field! It really is all about the event and the type of runner... the average time of a competitive race containing mainly club runners is going to be completely different to that of an event with lots of recreational runners.

I've found in virtually every event I've done that there's been people who've beaten me who, to look at, I'd have thought I was faster than... and equally I've beaten people who look like they should be leaving me for dust!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
There isn't really such a thing as an average time. An average time for what - someone who has been running for 6 months, or someone who has been running seriously for 10 years? For someone who is 18, or someone who is 65?

The 10k's I have run I have seen 60 year olds running sub 38's and 20 year olds running nearly 1 hr 20!

Out of interest, there are little calculators around which give a kind of "par" time for your age - the better your time the higher the percentage goes, and the higher the percentage the "better" a runner for your age you are - at least as far as I understand it...

Runbayou: Age-Grade Calculator

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
nice link RRR :)
As a 24 year old though it doesn't do me any favours :p
Does put you at regional class though, although unfortunately you will still have to be running just about as fast when you get to my age to maintain your percentage :)

According to your profile 5k time you are struggling along for your age :lol:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Im down on local class :) I should be doing a 10k run in 26mins!

Ive got some way to go :)

O.
I'd say you are doing fine - 26 mins is world record speed!

I've gone from 47% back in May (pretty below par) to somewhere reasonable at 53%, so just seek to improve further now.

Really you should just set your benchmark in the race and then seek to beat yourself in the future. Sub 50 would be a great time :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ye, sub 50 is what I will aim for and will see if I get stuck in an traffic on the way round as I guess there will be quite a few "fun" runners who are just doing it to raise money and don't care about finish times.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guess there will be quite a few "fun" runners who are just doing it to raise money and don't care about finish times.
Which I think is absolutely fantastic in terms of improving their fitness and raising money for good causes - I can't praise them enough for it... but oh how I wish they'd start a bit further back, somewhere relative to their ability :worried:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, I agree, you never know, some of those "fun" runners may become addicts like us :)

I always start further back than maybe I should just so I don't hold anyone up and then I pick my way through the crowd, adds a bit more fun to it as well, until they block your route and put you off your pace :)

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ye, sub 50 is what I will aim for and will see if I get stuck in an traffic on the way round as I guess there will be quite a few "fun" runners who are just doing it to raise money and don't care about finish times.

O.
What race is it and how many are entering? The start is usually where you can get caught up, but it usually spreads out and you get room, unless it's one of the runs with many 1000s in.

TBH I have used the starts of races strategically - starting behind a few slower runners can be good to stop you going off far too fast, and it can help psychologically as you pick up the pace and start overtaking them. Obviously I speak as someone of medium pace - if I get quicker I would hope to start moving up the lineup :)

I think even in a charity race there will be people running sub 40 and plenty sub 50 - some people even do close to 40 dressed in funny outfits in Great Runs etc (I know that chap off emmerdale strolled round the Manchester Run dressed as Tarzan in 43ish this year, just having a lark!)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm doing a charity 10k run on Sunday too at Hampton Court, did it last year in 42:27 hoping to do no more than 41 this year my target was a sub 40 but I think I will be off the pace.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
what difference does it make being in bike mode? is it different readouts or zones or something? I'm guessing the key stats are the same? (speed, HR, distance, pace)
Can set up bike zones different from running. I also have 1 mile splits on running but 5-mile splits on cycling, and it also calculates calories wrong - but the key stats are the same

Its not the end of the world but I just like to keep all my runs in the run folder on the training center and all my bike (kiting) distances in the bike section :)
I don't think you can change them on the watch itself - but you can move a session between different folders on both training centre and sporttracks.
Just drag and drop the particular run from the wrong folder into the correct one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts