Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to train and compete in some races, (as per my previous threads) you may note i'm inexperienced in running, apart from a couple of duathlons.

anyway, i digress, the question if for the sake of round figures, i can run a 5k in 23 minutes, how much time would i expect to lose over a 10k. should i double the 5k and add a percentage say 5% or how do others here work it out?

cheers in advance
Craig

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Craig, depending on how well you've trained for the 10k compared to the 5k I'd say double your 5k and add 1 & a half to 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You'd be looking around the 48:18 mark... obviously it depends on the course, weather etc and whether you naturally have any preference, or rather natural ability towards, speed or endurance... if speeds on shorter distances is your thing, you could be closer to (or beyond) the 50min mark, though if you're used to running longer distances and your problem is not being able to generate enough speed at shorter distances, you may benefit from being able to hold your 5k pace throughout the 10k and get yourself sub 38mins.

There's multiple ways of working out predicted race times, the one I use for general runners is:

Predicted Time = Old Distance Time x (New Distance / Old Distance)^1.06

The number at the end is the factor that will vary depending on your natural bias towards speed or endurance, for me this number tends to change to around 1.11 since I definately favour the shorter distances.

There plenty of 'race time predictors' on the net which will give you varying answers - have a google and see ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I can run a 5k in 18.31 at my best, and have run a 10k in 38.30 if that helps. So for me, the second 5k of a 10k is about 1.5 minutes slower than my 5k best

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
goto here pump in your numbers and all will be revealed... its pretty accurate aswell
that's genius. It's added a whole new dimension to my geeky post-run analyses!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
that's genius. It's added a whole new dimension to my geeky post-run analyses!
i found it really good as was struggling to know what speeds etc for tempos/ easy etc.. and by following the speeds that it gives me and then re-calculating after every race i can get quicker

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some good answers here, i find it interesting because the running is new to me and i do similar comparisons with my cycling time trials. i find i can usually multiply my 10 mile time x 2.5 and the 25 time does not go up much, ot in other words i can remain constant so maybe endurance is more my thing.

i reckon i can target 7 minute miles if i train right but i want to take it steady and build up to it because my recovery seems so slow, is it usual to need 2 days off between runs?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
When I was new to running I found I needed at least one and usually 2 days off between runs - sometimes three would result in a quantum leap later on - now I can run 3-4 days in a row without feeling it affecting me, as long as I take some rest days and easy weeks if I'm doing hard or longer runs.

My 5k and 10k times seem reasonably on par, although I haven't raced at 5k, just do a weekly trial against the clock - so my best 5k so far is 24:38, and my best 10k so far 52:49 (which has improved from 1hr 07 the first time I managed to complete the distance earlier this year!) - although according to the Mcmillan calculator, if I put my 5k time in it says I should be running 51:10 for 10k, and if I input my 10k it says I would be running 25:26 for 5k, when I am running a minute faster... Can't figure out if that means I am more predisposed to speed or endurance! :notrust:

As you see from my times, we are not all lightning fast - but a lot of us are getting quicker :cool:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm not super fast that's for sure but i have my targets in sight, i suppose i will ease into it as the cycling season ends, just a few more open time trials left and i will focus on the running.
i like the sound of 2 rest days that sounds good and i suppose i could always squeeze in a steady hour or 2 on the bike if i get fed up.

do peeps on here do a lot in the winter, like base miles or what is the norm?

Craig

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think you'll find most of us prefer running in the winter to the summer so the answer is yes!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
RRR - Your times would show that at your current level of fitness, your speed exceeds your endurance... stick some extra mileage in and see what happens ;)

I find I race much better in the colder months - just seems to be less stress on the body for me (I can't stand racing in blazing heat).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just experimented with that McMillan calculator thingy.

Not content with double-gold and double-world records at the olympics - but Usain Bolt can also run the 10K in 23:12 and the marathon in 1:48:53 !!
(although I did round down his 200m time to 19 secs cos it doesn't take decimals)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just experimented with that McMillan calculator thingy.

Not content with double-gold and double-world records at the olympics - but Usain Bolt can also run the 10K in 23:12 and the marathon in 1:48:53 !!
(although I did round down his 200m time to 19 secs cos it doesn't take decimals)
Yeah, it tends to fall apart when you compare sprint times with longer distances. It's better fpr using a 5k or 10k time to predict a half marathon or marathon, or vice versa. For instance, for my best 5k time, it predicts I could run 100m in 15 seconds. Well I know I can run 100m closer to 12 seconds, so it is already way out on that.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think Macmillan himself says the sprint times are likely to be off - but that they've been included 'just for a bit of fun'

Rounding the 200m WR to 19secs? why not round teh 100m down to 9secs while we're at it ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yeah, and maybe I should round my 1:25 half marathon down to an hour. Wow, I'm almost a record breaker now :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is a great thread. It's interesting to see the difference between the 5K and 10K times. I have a 23.23 for 5K and my 10K PB is currently at 50.57

1 - 20 of 29 Posts