Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my first 10k road race in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what time to expect and what pace to run at.

The only road experience is the last half marathon where I got 1hr39mins. I reckon I could go at a faster pace for the 10k.

Also, what shoes do athletes wear for these events? Is it a case of sticking to regular good-cushioned road shoes, or going for something lighter?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Streako said:
I have my first 10k road race in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what time to expect and what pace to run at. The only road experience is the last half marathon where I got 1hr39mins. I reckon I could go at a faster pace for the 10k. Also, what shoes do athletes wear for these events? Is it a case of sticking to regular good-cushioned road shoes, or going for something lighter? Thanks...
You ran your ½ marathon at roughly 7.35 pace which equates to around 47 mins for 10K. If you're at the same level of fitness as when you ran your ½ marathon you'll almost certainly run the shorter distance at a faster pace. I'd aim for 45 mins. As for shoes, wear whichever are most comfortable and suit you best.
Cheers!

·
Registered
76 Posts
10km is 2 race paces above 1/2 marathon (10 mile inbetween) you should be looking at running 15 secs / km faster per race pace. So around 6:45/50 per mile pace.

So around a 42/3 minute should be your target.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I did it in 42.18 mins.

Good call, Team-Lewis!

I had problems with shin splint type pain last week, so I hadnt been out for a good run for about ten days.
Really struggled with form in the 2nd half of the race, had that nasty people-pulling-away feeling and couldnt do anything about it!

Should have had a good bowl of porridge for breakfast instead of cereal, too.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
regular road shoes are fine for that kinda thing... race shoes are only going to knock of a few seconds a mile, which is neither here nor there until you're at the front of the field - though it didn't stop me forking out for a pair :embarrassed:

I wouldn't have thought the not going out for a 'good run' (by which I assume you mean partially hard/fast) will have hindered your performance as you should be tapering to some extent anyway. The people pulling away from you at the end is probably a case of setting off a little too fast (or possibly everyone else setting off too slow). I know I tend to set off quite slow and catch people as the race goes on - it seems very rare that I get overtaken, though this probably indicates I could afford to start a little faster.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great result Streako :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts