Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i'd ask as lots of you are more experienced than me. I'm doing my second
10k in dec, and its flatter than the horndon on the hill i did in 46.35. If i run well and its is flatter course, do you think i could get a better time and if so whats a realistic amount to aim for thanks H:huh:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Well that's a very broad question to ask... very much depends on how you feel and how much training you've put in. Also how long ago was your last 10k?

You can almost certainly expect to run it faster though! For what it's worth, I ran my first 10k in 45:49 on a pretty flat course (Lincoln 2006), and went on to manage 44:58 in my next 10k which was 2 months later and also a very undulating course in some intense heat (Two Castles Run 2006). The following month I managed 42:23 on a 6 mile course having started off much too fast, then one year on from my first 10k I managed 42:50 in the 2007 Lincoln 10k.

Of course that's just my experience and following my not so strict training regime that I did back then, you may be completely different!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hayley

I ran the June Hornden race in 49:20 which at the time was a PB.

Since then I have run 2 more 10k`s on flatter courses.

Southend in October. 47:19

Billericay in November 46:22

So I`m sure you will knock a fair bit off your PB.( Remembering that awesome 5k you ran not so long ago.)

The one thing I will say,is that I did train bloody hard.

What`s the December race H ?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave said:
Hayley

I ran the June Hornden race in 49:20 which at the time was a PB.

Since then I have run 2 more 10k`s on flatter courses.

Southend in October. 47:19

Billericay in November 46:22

So I`m sure you will knock a fair bit off your PB.( Remembering that awesome 5k you ran not so long ago.)

The one thing I will say,is that I did train bloody hard.

What`s the December race H ?

Dave the race is, 30 December somerley 10k in ringwood hampshire. My sister works lives in hampshire mon-thursday, has second house there, so thought i'd do that for a change.
There's my problem TRAINING!!! Im finding it hard with two young children husband that does shifts, and a poorly 3 year old every month with chest infections to train as much as i should.
One consolation is that if i run more than 4 times a week i dont progress as well (dont know why that is
thanks for your encouraging words H

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Hayley,

That's a difficult one to call - how long until your run & how much have you done in the last month or so?

Your 5k of 19:12 would indicate that you have the potential to run a about 40:00 dead.

My only advice is that you don't go off too fast (my usual mistake).

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Aha! a recent race time! By far the best way to judge your potential gains, there's a race time predictor on the site that shall not be named which gives a 10k predicted time of 40:01 based on your recent 5k time. Though that shows no bias towards speed or endurance... and if you've been struggling to get out and train then perhaps your endurance/stamina may have suffered a little? I'd say aim for 41mins and be VERY pleased with yourself if you manage sub 42:00... :d

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow...! One day I shall be as good as you guys!!

I'm doing my first 10k in May, and I'm just hoping to finish!!

I know how hard it can be to train with kids, Hayley - (heck, sometimes it's hard just to leave the house!) - but I think it makes the "you time" that comes with running all that bit more special.

All the very best of good luck with your race x

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks isla, totally agree with the 'hard to leave the house' bit. Not to sure i'll be able to get that near 40mins but i'll try. Some times i forget how nice it is to have me time and worry to much about doing enough running, you have reminded me why i run and what i get from it personally thanks H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts