Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all.

Over the recent years I've been a failed runner as barely was able to complete a single KM without having to stop, over the recent 6 months I've completed the couch to 5K as well as being able to complete 10K in around 1 hour 5 mins, I'm currently running a 26.2 mile marathon over the course of the week to keep myself active through these current times. Ive signed up for October 2021 half marathon and I'm starting to wonder if this is too much too soon, if i continue to work at it with 2 to 3 runs a week is this a visible task or am i set up to fail ?

Many thanks James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi James,

It all depends on whether you`re bothered about your finishing time or whether you just want to enjoy the day out and finish the race.

If you can get one of your weekly runs up to 10/11 miles a few weeks before the half marathon, you`ll certainly be able to finish the race. Plus if it`s not a competitive race, you`ll find yourself in the company of people with a similar standard of fitness to you and you`ll naturally team up with them, which will help you finish.

You`ve got the best part of a year to train for it, so you`ve got plenty of time. Just build up slowly and enjoy your running whilst your out.

Ps - If you`re having to stop all the time, you`re going too fast. Slow down until you find a comfortable pace that means you don`t have to stop all the time. A really easy way to gauge this, is that you should be able to talk whilst your running. Everyone runs at different speeds, so just find the one that` right for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
James - without knowing your weight, age, etc etc, I'd agree with Coybl (make sure you're doing long runs). And slow down if you're stopping. Or run/walk. 26 miles per week is very decent, but if you're doing that over 2 or 3 runs, then it sounds like you're pushing too hard too soon. I'm no running coach, but I'd consider lowering the mileage until you are never walking and never stopping. 5k perhaps, three times a week, then add to that when you can? And perhaps make up for the shorter runs by going out more often. I run a similar mileage (and like you, I'm training for a half, but in honesty, I can already do it - I'm increasing speed)... but it takes me 4-5 runs a week to get there. Typically, I do a 12-miler, long and hilly; a 2-3 mile dash; and a couple 6-8 mile 'whatever' runs. You'll do it just fine. There's far too much self-doubt among runners (self included, initially).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts