Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much quicker is your 10k pace than your 1/2 pace? Having knocked 6 minutes off my 1/2 pb last week, so does it follow that I might knock 3 minutes off my 10k time tops? I need to think about how to sensibly pace myself on Monday. I was just interested to know how much quicker everybody else can manage it.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I've recently ran both 10k and 1/2 Marathon, the 10k I managed to maintain 6min/mile. Comparitively I only managed to maintain 6:38/mi during the half marathon (not a great race for me). Using a race time predictor though I should be able to manage 6:17/mi for the half marathon (based on my 10k time)

Of course it depends on whether you are biased towards speed or distance... from my results It's quite clear the shorter distances suit me better. If your recent HM was the 1:57:59 PB in your profile... a race time predictor would suggest you can manage a 53:31 10k. How does that compare to your current 10k PB?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`ve got a real problem with this one Rob.

Half marathon best 1:54:42...................8:45 Pace

10k Best....................46:22...................7.26 Pace

I`m sure there shouldn`t be this much difference.

I think I just allow myself to get comfortable in a half,But can concentrate on pushing myself all the way round a 10k.

I have a half in Southend in June and so plan to have a real go at bringing down my PB.

Just looked at the time Predictor.

Based on my 10k time. My half should be 1:43:10. At 7:53 Pace.........:eek:

Looks like I should try harder.........................;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
42:14 10k pb (6.2m)
92:00 1/2m pb (13.1m)

Based on the calculator website above my 10k time..6.47 min miles would equate to a 93:59 1/2m at 7:11 pace ...but my 10k pb was run 11 months ago at 7:02 pace and my 1/2m pb a few weeks ago so I guess I should see what my 10k time should be now based on the 1/2m pb...

....so I should be able to do a 41:21 10k at 6:39 pace...we'll see...next pb is the race I did last year and got my current 10k pb in.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. My last two 10k's have been 55mins each, although the last one I did was in September, so that race predicter thing might be close to the mark. I did hit the 3 mile mark on my garmin at 23 mins and something last night though and that was without any kind of controlled pacing, so I'm not sure. I suppose as long as I'm gradually working towards 50 mins for a finishing time I'll be happy with some improvement.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Half marathon pace was 5.26/mile and for 10km it's 5.02/mile.
I have the same problem as a few others, in that I lose concentration in the half I don't keep the pace quite so well!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting, Dave.
I ran the half at 8.47 pace recently, but my last 10k in September I ran at 8.51. The two don't seem to equate. I know what you mean about the race time predictor though - I get out of breath just reading their predictions. lol:d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I think part of my problem is that for the 10k, I know I only have to experience the discomfort of fast running for under 40mins, with a half marathon I have to experience the discomfort (although a slightly less intense discomfort) for closer to an hour and a half... something I find very difficult mentally.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Other way around here... i struggle to get the pace up on shorter races because I keep thinking I'm there for a long time. Then get to the end, sprint the finish and wonder why everyone else looks so tired :cool:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 1/2 is definitely tougher to keep it going mentally especially from 10-12 miles but I think alot if the time people under-perform because they don't train correctly for the distance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I mean specifically rather than correctly. I always find that I end up very fit for the race distance below the one I've train for!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
How would someone focus their training towards a half marathon rather than a 10k? I mean would it be a case of just doing more miles?

I'm wanting to focus my training towards a half marathon in October, but other than upping the mileage a bit, the training is not much different form 10k training - I expect my 10k time will improve as a result as well! Any thoughts much appreciated :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Up the mileage indeed. Still do your speed and hill sessions.
10K training doesn't really need long slow runs...so there's the difference.

Shorter distance race times will improve with the longer training sessions as long as the speed work continues.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm not sure it's so much to do with mileage, but the paces you train at (though more mileage will always help to a point). I think you need to run some 1/2m pace sessions if your training for a half or some 10k sessions if your training for a 10k etc.

Richard,

I just had a look at your training (sorry nosey I know) and noticed you did 2 x 1 mile intervals last week @ 5.30p per mile! That's about your 3k pace! This is good training for a 3k but I would say far too quick for a 1/2. And then, if I'm not mistaken you ran that pace in the 1st mile of your 1/2!

A good session for you would be 4-5 x 1m @ 6:20p (1/2mp) with 200-400m jogs between. Or you can interchange a 6 x 1k session @ 6:00p (10kp) with 200m jogs between. Both of these work on your stamina, which is so necessary for those last 3 miles of the 1/2m. I would do one of these sessions a week when training for a 1/2m.

You don't really need to work much on your speed (you have loads) just the ability to hold the speed for 13.1 miles.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
LJ, huge thanks for your post, not nosey at all - i'm grateful that you went out of your way to have a look!

the 2x 5:30/mi was supposed to be 4x 5:30/mi but I just felt awful so cut it short - the same pace in the 1/2mara 1st mile was purely by accident :embarrassed: on reflection I think it was closer to 5:40, but still much faster than I'd have liked.

I think the thing is that when I'm running a mile repeat at say 6:20, I know I could run it faster, so I tend to... in light of your post though I think it'd definately be more worth my while training at race pace, and if I do 1mile intervals, work on increasing the number of reps over time. Speed endurance is definately what I lack!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know it's easy to go too fast, I fall into that trap too. My personal thing is I really struggle to do easy runs easy, even though I know I should!

If you think about 4 x 5:30/mi though, you would be running 6.4k at your 3k pace, which is just brutal even with rests. I think you'd find a professional athlete would think 'bloody hell' if they set themselves that session! You wouldn't attempt 20km of intervals at your 10k mile pace for instance.

Doing the 1/2mp 1 miles or 10kp 1km will not feel anywhere near as difficult, but you'll feel like you done a good session without feeling totally wiped out. & to get a bit of a speed buzz at the end you can do 4 x 200m at mile pace with 200m jog between which will keep your speed ticking over.

I'm going to do the 10k session weekly over the next few months & hope to seriously reduce my 10k time. We'll see though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts