Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my name's in the hat for the Edinburgh marathon next year.

I'm using the same training schedule as I did for Frankfurt last year. The schedule has a 20-miler in six weeks and four weeks out. Five weeks out is a step back week, with a 15-mile run.

The Great Edinburgh run, which is a 10km, falls on the fall back week, which should be the 15-miler. Do you think it would be a good idea to enter a race this short so close to the marathon? Or do you think it would be ok as its a fall back week?

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have absolutely no idea but I'm doing the marathon and I'll definately be doing the 10K!! Did it this year and loved it, I'm sure you can build it in to your schedule.

I don't think it's a ballot this year so if you've signed up and given your credit card details then your definately in:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Grant, I don't see why you shouldn't run it, in fact I think it'd be good training for a marathon. If it were a week before then I'd say it was a bad idea, but 5 weeks before it would be a great confidence builder. Just do a light 5k run as a warm-up, and a few k warm down and you've only lost a few miles on the recommended distance for your long run.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
allow yourself a chance to recover from the 10k... or run it as a tempo run. With five weeks to go it should be a nice little sharpener ;)
I was thinking of using it for that purpose, as well as doing a couple of halfs as well. Will probably only do 2-3 races during training, so I won't tire myself out.

Good suggestion LazyJones, I'll add on the extra km's extra to my warm-up.

Thanks, Folks.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no going back now, I've entered the race.

I can't believe its September and I'm already thinking about next year's races.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I'd entered on the first day of entries.

I'm starting to do longer runs after this weeks Social at Strathaven. I start my proper training schedule in February.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Has your place been confirmed for the Edinburgh Marathon Grant?
how's the training going?
there is no ballot for edinburgh... just first come first served

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a slightly modified version of the Runner's World FIRST Marathon plan. It got me round my first marathon, but I stuggle with the longer runs which I affected my finish time. Hope to make a better job of the long runs this time around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts