Runners Forum banner

How many microwave meals do you eat each week, on average?

• None

Votes: 11 68.8%

Votes: 3 18.8%

Votes: 1 6.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.3%

• 8+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We only own a microwave as it is part of a combined over / microwave / grill deal. I use it very occasionally, normally for reheating something we have cooked the day before. I don't remember the last time I ate a microwave meal... My OH on the other hand does have the occasional microwave mug cake or Baozi (Bao / Bapao, whatever you want to call them)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've put zero, but we do use the microwave for some things- heating custard, melting mixtures for baking, one or two supermarket things like caramelised red cabbage. That last one is the closest thing to a ready meal.

On the few occasions I've had a complete 'ready meal' in the many years since I finished university, I've always been disappointed and amazed that they are even blander and more unsatisfying than my low expectations had prepared me for. If I need a quick meal nowadays I'd rather get a pizza or just have some soup or scavenge various things from the cupboards to snack on than get another plastic tray of bland chicken coated in a desperate (they sometimes add a few herbs and spices that somehow fail to have any flavour) yet hopelessly unsatisfying orange sauce. Whatever ingredients they put in ready meals just seem to get denuded of all the flavour they once had, somehow; maybe there are storage or preheating processes they go through that do it, but in any case I can't remember ever having a ready meal that was truly enjoyable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dunno whether it counts, but four mornings a week I have microwaved porridge for breakfast - cooked in the bowl. It's the easiest way to cook it, 3 minutes and it's done, and no pan to clean afterwards.
That sounds like a good idea- though I've come to prefer simply pouring milk over cold oats, don't generally bother making porridge. On a similar note, I've often seen on the instructions for tins of soup that they are better if done in the microwave, but I'm too stuck in my ways (at 35, :lol:) to stop using the hob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts