Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My first 10k is on Sunday and the nerves have kicked in already. As a new runner I have trained steadily over 3 months, I know I can do it, but I am terrified!

The first 2 miles is mainly uphill so I know I will struggle with that part, but hopefully I can overcome that. I am quite slow, I would like to be finished on the hour, but may be an hour and 5 mins.....will I be on my own??? scared of making a fool of myself....I have been sponsored to run for a local childrens hospice, I don't want to let people down.

Must give myself a good talking to....be positive.....help!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, I don't really know why I am so nervous, I just need to take a deep breath and get going. I ran 2 really good 5 mile runs Sunday and Monday, and will just do a 3 mile tonight, then rest until Sunday.
Thanks for the support, hope my confidence will improve for the next one!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You'll be fine....you've done plenty of taining and nerves are good!
Start at the back of the field and don't concern yourself with those at the front. Run your own race... take it easy at the start and you'll be left with enough energy to finish nice and strong.
Good luck!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement Steve, I will try and enjoy it. I just worry when all the other runners look more like 'serious atheletes' than me....must try and focus on pacing myself.

will keep you posted!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
my profile is very similar to yours Bagpuss,and i`ve got my first 10k in a few weeks,,so I will be interested to see how you get on.Most peoples experience seems to be that they run faster in a race situation

Good luck. Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You will run faster in a race situation...it seems to be a fact of life!

Runners come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Don't worry about what others look like....I wear an England rugby top sometimes but I can't play like Martin Johnson!...ALL THOSE IN RACES ARE SERIOUS RUNNERS and don't let anyone tell you different.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave,

My only other race ever was a 5k in late July, it was hot, and I had no energy. As soon as I started my legs went all heavy....thought it was nerves and would wear off, but didn't. Hope it doesn't happen again!

I have loaded an hour and a bits worth of 'running' music on my MP3 to keep me going, slow stuff to start off, then some 'get going' music, hope it does the trick!!

good luck for your race,

will let you know how I get on......if the clock says 59:59 when I finish I will be over the moon, but I will just focus on finishing otherwise!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Steve,

It feels like I've run that far though sometimes! I have made a determined effort to stay off the Jack Daniels, so will give it my all.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Blimey bagpuss! Drinking as well,Your becoming more like me all the time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dave, I have always been a bit of a drinker, running is the first activity that has 'partially' interferred. I try not to drink the night before a run, but as for giving up altogether....nah.......I guessed you liked your beer, I had rather a nice pint of Timothy Taylor's recently....didn't make me run any faster though!

Hopefully when I finish on Sunday I will reach for the 'recovery' drink....but if the bar is open, maybe a JD as well...just to congratulate myself....not advisable...but I have gone without all week.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Run the 10k in under an hour and drink to your hearts content.You would have earned it.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The Pair Of You Are Clearly Drinkers With A Running Problem!
Personnally I'm All For A Shot Of Uncle Jack Or Even Brother Jim The Night Before A Race....helps The Sleep Process!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that it just goes to show we are human, running, relaxing, drinking what's the problem....certainly helps me sleep, but I think I am definately going to be 'driving' Friday and Saturday this week.....so will have a lot of catching up to do on Sunday night, and as I work shifts, who cares if I have a bad head Monday, work doesn't start until midday!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bagpuss,

You'll be fine. I did my first 10K in May in Edinburgh with a crowd from work, with probably a similar amount of training to you, and found the day such a buzz. A few of the folk from work hadn't done as much training, but everbody both enjoyed the day and did a bit better than they expected. With your expected time you'll be nowhere near the tail end, so don't worry. Good luck on the day. :)

Don

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Don, I have been given loads of encouragement, just need to get on and 'do it'!!!
I bet Edinburgh was great fun. This 10k is quite rural......lots of 'organic' smells to take in on the way. Legs a bit sore today, so a couple of days rest now.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Lyn.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lyn,

Also enjoy your drinks after it all! One of the unexpected outcomes of me taking up this running malarkey was getting in touch again with an old boss, the best I've ever had. From something like 18 years ago I had remembered that at that time he was a keen marathon runner. Meeting up with him a couple of months ago I found out that not only had he kept up his running, his main social scene revolves around him and his club buddies picking runs, often abroad, which involve serious training to do a reasonable time, but balanced with taking in the local brews afterwards and making a short holiday of it all. Run hard, drink hard seems to be his philosophy. I'm sure some here might caution on the drink hard, but I think there is a balance. Have a good run on the day, and have some wll deserved drinks afterwards.

Don :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just enjoy it! I only started running earlier this year at age 49 and ran 51 mins. You have done the distance in training so start at the pace you know you can run. Then if you feel strong you can run a bit faster later in the race. It is good fun. Size, shape and looks count for nothing. You will see many strange looking people all trying to do their best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts