Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some training advice. I have 2 weeks until I have a 10k and don't know what is best to do.

I'm thinking of running my long run everyday because I have speed but not the endurance.

I haven't got much time to prepare and want to do finish it near 40 minutes.

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
There's not much you can do to improve in the last two weeks before a race, but you can overdo it so you're too tired to get the best out of your body on the day.

With a 5 mile PB of 33.19, only set in Feb, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting 40 mins for a 10k

How far is your long run?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 mile was a flat road course though. the 10k is a hard trail and only 15 people out of 400 got under 40 minutes last year, so I'm not expecting to get 40 minutes. Long run is 7 miles but it is an easier course than my regular run 5 mile.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
So make sure you've got it in your head that you are going to be one of those 15 this year...believing you can do it is half the battle won.

I would suggest that you use the last two weeks of the Intermediate schedule on this web page...

http://www.ironbridgerunner.co.uk/pdfs/10k.pdf

If it's less than what you have been doing then add in another day, but sometimes less mileage but more quality works better for shorter races

Good luck

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, cheers... some nice positive thinking there :d!

i'll try and do some 'quality runs' and have some variety - tbh, i'm not very good at variety... i do have a shorter version of my long run ~5.5 miles that will be good for a tempo run tomorrow... some of the other runs on the scedule may take a bit more thought...

Thanks for your help Trinity

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Indeed the mental aspect will play a huge part - and yeah, hard workouts especially close to the event will more likely hinder your race performance rather than improve your pre-race fitness.

Best of luck for the upcoming race - at least you know you need to focus on endurance for your next 10k! :d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I feel a bit stupid making this thread now. I did not want to do the race in the first place but a friend persuaded me. I changed my mind this morning and have just phoned to cancel the race. This wasn't an impulse decision, I have been thinking about it for a while in my week off. I've totally had enough of races, I do not enjoy them. When I go back to uni I will do some races but until then I really need a break from it. Have done five of them now since janurary and I put myself under intense pressure to get better for them. Although it is nice to see how fast you can run it doesn't seem to stop, after you do well you want to do better and enter another race and the cycle continues over and over. Tbh, I've had enough. I'm not bothered anymore, I never intended to be like this. When I started running in september it was to get fit and I didn't ever imagine I'd get to the stage I'm at now but now I'm here I don't think I like it. I'm starting to get obsessed with times and nonsense and it gets to me sometimes - if I run injured or run slow it puts me in a really bad mood for the day. I may be faster but I do not enjoy killing myself to get that way. I am still going to keep up running but going to take things a bit easier. I am not much good at taking things easier but I just want to prevent getting so annoyed that I stop running all together and I'm beginning to feel that this might happen.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It is very easy to get caught up with the improvement side of things and pushing yourself as far and hard as you can - and everyone has to decide what level they want to commit themselves to their training in order to try and achieve their self-set goals.

Glad to hear you're not abandoning ship though revenged - It's great that running has helped you improve your fitness levels and got your beyond where you expected it to take you. We all need to re-access our aims etc from time to time as it's so easy to forget why we even started! lol.

I hope we still see you on the forum regularly too - you've certainly been a great addition since you joined!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was interested to read your post Revenged, as I suppose I am in danger of the same thing (I expect a lot of runners are). A year ago I would run 20 yards for a bus and be out of breath with my heart hammering, now I can confidently run 10k, and am starting to get obsessed with times etc just in training - but I sometimes get upset if I haven't made enough improvement - and somewhere along the line I will stop making big improvements and have to start working hard just for small ones!

I am still enjoying the thought of races, for me it is the atmosphere and runnng with others that appeals, as I will probably never win one or even finish anywhere near the front - but I don't want to lose sight of the fact that the running is something I enjoy and it is to keep me fit and healthy and happy - not something to wear myself into the ground with! :cool:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That was a brave admission Revenged and I for one respect you for it. I am glad you haven't lost sight of the reason you started running and are making it your priority to enjoy it above all else.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I do enjoy it but realistically to get better now would be much harder than before.

I'd do better not to enter the races now than to beat myself up about times.

There is not much I can do now to get a faster pace - I think I'd need regular access to athletics track and would need to race with other runners, (neither of which I've got).

Now I'm just trying to chill out, I've done the hard work over the past few months, and it is very nice to get out their everyday when it's sunny.

I think I'd be able to maintaining a high milage for the rest of the summer, which will mean improved endurance :).

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Again, it's all too easy to get dragged into the ongoing battle with improving times and performances... and well done for spotting it and deciding that you want to run for pleasure - your summer runs certainly will help improve your running (in terms of endurance and efficiency).

If you ever did want to improve your race performances though, there's loads you could do without an athletics track. But as you have mentioned improving now would be harder than before.

Hope you have some really enjoyable summer runs :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts