Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 marathon training should start tomorrow (1 December), with the first step being to increase running load before starting a structured plan on 1 January in preparation for London Marathon in April (charity place after losing out in the ballot).

Unfortunately due to Achilles tendinitis (insertional) I am unable to run and so I’ll be swimming instead, and continuing to do resistance training at the gym. Indeed, whatever plan I follow I will retain a decent amount of gym work as that seems to help me to run stronger.

Has anyone else started training for their 2019 race schedule yet? And if you are what approach to training are you taking and for which races?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hi, In theory doing one in April. Not doing any specific training as such yet just trying to get miles up, plan is to get to around 40-50 miles a week by end of Dec, finding that difficult though. Come Jan I'll try and get some consistent weekly long runs and work outs in place. Aim to get first longish run done by end Jan, ideally 20 miles. Been reading Daniels running formula and may take any workouts I do from that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Has anyone else started training for their 2019 race schedule yet? And if you are what approach to training are you taking and for which races?
Depends how you look at it. I technically started back around the middle of June with base training. Training for next year kicks off properly with Portsmouth marathon on Dec 23rd.

Schedule next year is Brighton marathon (April), South Downs marathon (June), Serpent Trail 100K (July), Chiltern Wonderland 50 (Sept).

There's loads more as training runs in between and I'll probably do Portsmouth again for a laugh too. My main aims for next year are get through it all without losing too much speed, get a marathon PB and get a 50 mile PB.

Been reading Daniels running formula and may take any workouts I do from that.
I based my autumn training on that. I used it to train for a half whilst building up solid base fitness. It has been working out well so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just coming off the back of the same injury 44whitehall, and have my first marathon, London next year.

I'm comfortable at 5k at the moment and am increasing mileage week on week - before the injury some 9 weeks ago i was up to 16 miles. I've had various loading exercises to do from the physio which has helped me getting back on the road quicker.

I would like to have a plan, but at this stage, due to the injury i'm taking it day on day, week on week, and will asses again in the new year and hopefully get something more structured.

·
2,698 Posts
I’m running London then Berlin in September. Like you my main plan starts in the new year. However because I’ve been running much lower mileage lately, on the comeback from injury, I’ll be treating December as a base-building phase to hopefully build back up and get used to running doubles again.

I’m really looking forward to getting back in to marathon training, but also a little nervous about my plantar fasciitis flaring up, and also just being a bit undercooked compared to last year. But hopefully it means I’m just fresher ��

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am running Manchester on 7 April.
I started my training last week, a bit early as, over the next few months, I will have few trips overseas because of work and so my training won't be very regular, unfortunately.
I am planning to run 60-80km per week and see how it goes.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes, I've started training in the sense that I don't stop :) but for a marathon I tend to wait until a planned schedule catches up with what I'm doing anyway. This tends to be week 7 or 8 of a 16 week plan. I add 2 weeks' slack for unforeseen events like holidays, sickness or injuries. First planned is Brighton, then a couple more local ones, maybe Rotterdam again, Oslo Forest again. In the second half of the year I hope to be retired from paid work, so there could be some exotic ones coming up :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No serious marathon training for me next year, at least not until the autumn. I am planing to run the Beer Lovers Marathon in June (marathon + fancy dress + 15 beer tastings on the course), but with three 100mile+ races between the beginning of march and the end of june there isn't really the time for any hard marathon attempts.

I am tempted to have a go for a PB at Eindhoven in October, depending on how the summer goes.

·
2,698 Posts
First week of base-training has gone well for me. Up to 80 miles this week (90 over 7 days at one point) and the PF is behaving so far. Legs have felt decent, so the endurance still seems to be there. Did the Telford 10K today, I’m a long way from peak fitness so was happy to run 38:28 at the end of a biggish week. Decent conversion really given I’ve been running 19:00ish parkruns lately. Getting there!

·
2,698 Posts
I love how the first week of your base training is the same as most peoples peak training!
What I lack in talent, I make up for in miles :lol:

Forgot to say, the quality of the field at Telford was bonkers. 17 people sub-30, 47 sub-31 and 89 sub-32... :wacko:

·
Registered
130 Posts
My recovery from injury has gone better than expected, did an easy 11 mile at 9min pace yesterday and have no ill effects this morning.. result. To get HM distance before new year will be amazing, since 8 weeks ago i couldn't walk without pain - physio and exercise have helped immensely.

Watched the Johnathan Ross show at the weekend, Mo was on there - peak he does 120 miles+ a week in high altitude training! I'll be happy with 35, though being a 15 stone lump it's no surprise - come the new year diet will play an important part in my London training to help the knees at least.

·
Registered
130 Posts
opps ran HM distance today in 1hr 58min, then ran a mile on cool down.

Going to maintain that distance till the new year, and increase from there.

Need to read-up on hydration and energy intake as my body was telling me i needed water nearing the end of this one.

·
2,698 Posts
Sounds like you’re making good progress Trev. How’s everyone else getting on?

I’m ticking along, one minute feeling like I’m making progress, the next feeling depressed that I’m way behind where I was at this time last year. Although the plantar fasciitis remains under control which is the most important thing.

I managed 90 miles last week, and was hoping to hit 100 this week. However, I was down in London for a Christmas party on Monday, and in no state to run on Tuesday so that was the end of that plan. However, I did have two excellent easy runs Wednesday and yesterday where everything just felt like it was flowing, the heart rate was right where I’d want it to be, and the pace was much closer to where it was when things were going well earlier in the year. Hopefully a sign my patience is starting to pay off and things are heading in the right direction...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Having limited time to get runs in means i'v been hovering around 30-40 miles a week up to now, even this feels a lot at the moment no idea how you (James) fit in so much mileage!

My very detailed plan is just to try and make sure I focus on 2 'quality' runs a week - a midweek reps or tempo, and then a weekend long run at a decent clip. The remainder being whatever I feel like. For the 2 quality days I might use some of the sessions from Daniels Plan A, especially for the long runs.

My tempo and 5K times are decent at the moment, just need a bit more time on legs now. And some new shoes..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need to work on loosing some weight and increase the weekly mileage gradually - currently only 25-30 miles a week.

I tried some sis chocolate gels and lucozade sport light drink on my latest run (stashed the drinks on the route beforehand and carried the gels) - made a improved difference, and both were easy to swallow - Had
2 gels and about 500ml of drink for the 16 mile, 2 1/2hr run, but i am needing the rest days more as the long runs get longer. Still, a good position to be in with 4 months to go, and also entered the Reading half which is 6 weeks before London.

btw - deep heat roll-on - it's something i'll be keeping in my run bag for sure, found it applies much easier than the creams with no mess or fuss of having to wash hands.

Would have been the best xmas present if i hadn't have found my NB shoes on offer in their outlets for £46 a pair - got my years worth!

Looks like the warm gear is about to come out - much prefer running in shorts.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts