Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

I did a 20k in 2hrs3mins yesterday on quite a hot day and on quite a hilly course.

There were only 7 ladies who entered the race, and me being one of them and the youngest felt amazed at how most of them ran the 20k in less than 1hr45mins! How can I get to this level!! There is a half marathon i have entered for at the end of july and I would love to finish it in 1hr50mins....any tips please?!

Jo (female!)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
well, the fact that the course is flat will be in your favour, but it might still be hot, so train in the heat when you can. That way you'll be prepared if it is hot and do even better if it's a cooler day... win win :)

Other than that... regular training over the next 3 weeks and a 1 week taper before the race.

Try and vary your training through the week... longer slower runs, short faster runs, intervals or fartlek, and hill training.

I don't know how far you got with your training for the 20k but you can increase the mileage by 10% each week until the taper

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Trinity!

I didn't train much for the 20k....once or twice a week with hill training in of those runs. The runs were only 8k or less.

It will be hot and humid I think so traiing in the heat is a must! It tires me!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Jo,

If you did not train too much for the 20K then I think you'll be very close to achieving your goal or close to it anyway. I've recently begun hill train as a regular part of my training as I am aiming to run a half in under 2 hours and have begun to see a increase in my overall speed.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If your runs were =<8k Jo then you'll benefit a great deal by having a long run each week to help the body get used to being on it's feet and running for long periods of time :) Running a 20k in that time off 8k runs is quite impressive!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the confidence boost! Will try some proper training for the next one! Gonna try and run 3 times a week, one normal 10k, one fartlek and one long run...of about 15k perhaps? or longer? hmmm when to fit all this in to my busy life?! (mornings aren't my strength!)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
working the long runs up to 20k-25k would be very beneficial mentally (or so I find) and well as physically... one you've ran the race distance a number of times in training, the distance becomes irrelevant and it becomes just a case of how quickly you can do it ;)

You can start doing some light jogging in the following days, then perhaps return to your full intensity training within 1-2 weeks... you could potentially get away with going straight back into your full training (as many do), it just depends how safe you'd like to play it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see I see. I have done one 20k before and a full marathon, but since the marathon which was 20th April I haven't been running much distance! The last 20k took a lot cos I was last all the way...just me and myself and the car following me. So it felt looong to me.

OK I shall run the distance a few times!! Thanks richardsimkiss :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
soooo, training not begun as of yet....tomorrow will make it a week since the 20k and I have been resting, with yoga twice in the week and karate this evening.

I need a plan to get me trianing for the half which is on july 20th...any suggestions please?!

Before I said I would do one normal run, maybe 10k, one fartlek, and one long run....never done fartlek before though and haven't stuck to running 3 times a week for a while!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts