Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Depends on the time of month/year and how busy I am. However, we have a flexi time policy so if I work 10 hours over in a month, I simply bank it to take back at less busy times. Net effect is basically nil. I will start working above and beyond if I ever have my own business and I am being paid for the extra hours; I'm not in the business of working for free, time is scarce enough in life.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Quite a lot, but I either get the time back or get paid for the extra hours, so I'm okay with that :)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Since having our son I'm very strict about it but it's still about 5+ per week, I rarely bank the time or claim it back.

·
Registered
829 Posts
None worked for free, because we work flexitime. We have to average 37,5 and a certain amount extra can be banked and taken out later. Core hours are 09:30 to 14:30. Times are stamped and appear on a software timesheet which we fill in for projects we work on each week. The actual filling in is an honour system - no-one except the employee and exceptionally a computer system administrator can see the time stamps, which are therefore in effect an aide memoire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Too much and a very touchy and topical subject for me.

I work in financial services in the city (not banking) where a long hours culture is ingrained. If you are not in the office till 7pm your are not working hard enough (regardless most just sit around chatting rubbish). There is no overtime, no flexi time, no hours in lieu if the company needs you at 5.30pm to stay till 9pm to get something out you are expected to do it regardless if you have a social engagement / parents evening etc. Work come first. You then receive little bulletins from HR praising the work / life balance the company offers. You couldn't make it up.

I went through a period where I fell into the long hours trap. I was leaving the Office at 6.55pm nearly every day to catch a 7.15 train to get home by circa 8.15-8.30 each night. My contracted hours are 9.30 - 5.30. I had an epiphany (well a moment where I thought you lot can keep being mugged off staying late but don't expect me to do it). I made a promise to myself to no longer be treated like such a doormat and now try to leave by at least 6pm

I get filthy looks when I get up at 5.45, my pay reviews have suffered for it and I think it has had an impact stress wise on me too (not the long hours so much as leaving on time). I love working but I now detest the work and the city. I still have people coming over on a virtually daily basis at 5.30-5.40 trying to get me to do work but I don't care. I pray for redundancy so I can use the money and go off and do something useful.

This is not a company specific thing it is an Industry thing and the firm I am at is actually the better of a bad bunch.

Apologies for the rant

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Too much and a very touchy and topical subject for me.

I work in financial services in the city (not banking) where a long hours culture is ingrained. If you are not in the office till 7pm your are not working hard enough (regardless most just sit around chatting rubbish). There is no overtime, no flexi time, no hours in lieu if the company needs you at 5.30pm to stay till 9pm to get something out you are expected to do it regardless if you have a social engagement / parents evening etc. Work come first. You then receive little bulletins from HR praising the work / life balance the company offers. You couldn't make it up.

I went through a period where I fell into the long hours trap. I was leaving the Office at 6.55pm nearly every day to catch a 7.15 train to get home by circa 8.15-8.30 each night. My contracted hours are 9.30 - 5.30. I had an epiphany (well a moment where I thought you lot can keep being mugged off staying late but don't expect me to do it). I made a promise to myself to no longer be treated like such a doormat and now try to leave by at least 6pm

I get filthy looks when I get up at 5.45, my pay reviews have suffered for it and I think it has had an impact stress wise on me too (not the long hours so much as leaving on time). I love working but I now detest the work and the city. I still have people coming over on a virtually daily basis at 5.30-5.40 trying to get me to do work but I don't care. I pray for redundancy so I can use the money and go off and do something useful.

This is not a company specific thing it is an Industry thing and the firm I am at is actually the better of a bad bunch.

Apologies for the rant
Sounds horrendous. Is the pay worth it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds horrendous. Is the pay worth it?
Short answer would be no but and there is a but I have a wife and two kids and this job has allowed my wife to be a stay at home mum. We tried the her working thing and with childcare her net pay was about £160 a month and this involved me dropping of the kiddies at childcare at 7.30am and her picking them up circa 6.30pm. She worked in the same industry as me so also had the same time pressures put on her. It made sense financially and from a time perspective.

There is a light on the horizon in that it is about two years and both kids will be in senior school and that will take the pressure off a bit as wife will go back to work and I can get a better job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts