Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aargh - came 2nd last in my 1st 10k in over 3 years yesterday.

i only started running again a few months ago, and am doing a half marathon in September. i have been training at 12 minute miles, but did the 10k in 11.40s, but was so far behind everyone! it was awful! feel so demotivated today.

i was quite happy running 12 minute miles, and thats what i aim to do the half marathon in, but now i am worried i am going way too slow and should try and speed up my runs over the next 4 / 5 weeks?

Alex.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Plodding Along Alex said:
aargh - came 2nd last in my 1st 10k in over 3 years yesterday.
Should I try and speed up my runs over the next 4 / 5 weeks? Alex.
I don't mean to upset you Alex but, when I was training dogs for racing, I used to WALK them at 12 minute mile pace. So the answer to you r question is YES, you definitely need to work on your speed over the next few weeks. I ran a half marathon in Cumbria last weekend with 1,500ft of ascent in it and still managed 8.22 pace - and I'm 75 for goodness sake. So set your sights a bit higher. Stop wishing and start WILLING.
Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
It sounds like a fast 10k if you did that speed and were trailing behind. Maybe try a bigger race for your next one, so there is a greater spread of speeds? I did my first 10k in May in one hour 16 mins, which is slower than 12 min miles and was nowhere near last.

Dont be disheartened, you may be slow but you are still doing a damn sight better than all the lazy gits that never get off the sofa.

Keep at it...and welcome to the forum :d

·
Registered
131 Posts
Runningfox said:
I don't mean to upset you Alex but, when I was training dogs for racing, I used to WALK them at 12 minute mile pace. So the answer to you r question is YES, you definitely need to work on your speed over the next few weeks. I ran a half marathon in Cumbria last weekend with 1,500ft of ascent in it and still managed 8.22 pace - and I'm 75 for goodness sake. So set your sights a bit higher. Stop wishing and start WILLING.
Cheers!
RF! That's a bit harsh.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alex.

Don't worry and don't be too hard on yourself, with time your speeds will come down, perhaps try one speed run a week, for instance 3 mile run with a 1/2 mile warm up and 1/2 mile warm down and pick up the pace in the middle and try and maintain it.

TT :d

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree Goslow, a bit harsh from RF!

Try and use the run as motivation for the half and beyond, if you can keep the same pace for 13.1 miles you'll be doing fine. Keep setting yourself small milestones to beat and you'll get quicker step by step, and I'd avoid really small runs too as they are usually fully of 24/7 runners which can be intimidating.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
GoSlow said:
RF! That's a bit harsh.
Sorry GoSlow (and Plodding Along Alex), but I honestly think you young 'uns ought to be running rings round the likes of me - and COULD do if only you programmed your minds accordingly. I regard myself as THE NORM and think anyone of my age OUGHT to be able to run or perform some other exercise with as much gusto as me - and young 'uns ought to be able to do it better and faster. Our bodies are constructed more or less the same and should function in similar ways. Running is the most natural of all exercises, though some are built more for sprinting than long or middle distances. I couldn't run until I was 54 years old - because my MIND never got into running mode. When, due to circumstances, I re-programmed it to get some exercise as an alternative to work, I discovered I could move pretty fast. So if you want to run faster and race better, you've first of all got to THINK it. And that means setting your sights on something a little better than 12-minute mile pace - gradually reducing it to 11, 10, 9 or maybe sub-6 minute mile pace. Stop thinking 'I wish' and change it to 'I will'. To be able to run freely and naturally is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. It's worth thinking about!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
RF - Love it !!, I like reading these sort of messages from you mate, I think you should write a motivational book :d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RF - the thought of running that fast for makes me feel a bit sick!!

Seriously, thanks for all your responses. i know i am not pushing myself with the speed side of things as i have been concentrating on distance, but i didnt realise how slow 12 minute miles was. i am up to 8 miles "relatively" comfortably just now and dont think i could do that without stopping if i sped up.

Its only 4.5 weeks until the half, think i have left it too late for this one, but once its over going to drop the miles back and try and speed up!!

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Granty said:
RF - Love it !!, I like reading these sort of messages from you mate, I think you should write a motivational book :d
Thanks Granty, I only said it 'cos I meant it! Jerry Lynch and Warren Scott have already written a motivational type book called 'Running Within'. It might be in your local library. Not that it made me run any faster. Running in the 'Lowther Trail' last Friday, high on the fell with Ullswater below and all the Lake hills spread out in front of, that's all the motivation I need.
Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Runningfox said:
Sorry GoSlow (and Plodding Along Alex), but I honestly think you young 'uns ought to be running rings round the likes of me - and COULD do if only you programmed your minds accordingly. I regard myself as THE NORM and think anyone of my age OUGHT to be able to run or perform some other exercise with as much gusto as me - and young 'uns ought to be able to do it better and faster.
To be fair, RF, I am not sure you are the "norm" and I mean that in the nicest possible way. You are an exceptionally talented runner who just didn’t happen to discover that was the case until you were a little older than some of us young 'uns ;)

Yes, I think it's good to set your sights high, but not if it means you become dispirited when you can't meet those targets whether that is through a lack of natural ability, time, training or whatever. It's good to have goals but I think a certain amount of realism is required. I have gone from 12 min miles to 10:30 min miles in three months and am proud of that achievement…even if it is slow by some standards. I would like to do a sub 60 10k by the end of this year, which may sound slow to you but most people I know (and I would have included myself in that just six months ago) couldn’t run six miles at ANY pace. We are all different, with different abilities and shouldn’t beat ourselves up about it.

And at the end of the day the main thing we are all agreed on is to get out there and enjoy it!:d

·
Registered
123 Posts
don't be disheartened at least you are out there having a go.
I ran my first half in May and it took me 3hrs but i put in 100% effort and got a huge cheer at the end and felt good .
Last month i did a 6mile off road and came last (only just) but got a cannon printer/scanner in recognition of my effort, everyone was really jealous and again i felt i had done my best.
We can't all be the fastest but as long as you feel you are giving 100% no-one (RF) can ask for more.
good luck and keep you spirits up and mostly keep enjoying the running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, i managed an 8 mile on friday night, ( in 12 minute miles ) and have a 9 to do this weekend.

Only 2 weekends until the half - hope my muscles hold out!!

Alex.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Plodding Along Alex said:
Well, i managed an 8 mile on friday night, ( in 12 minute miles ) and have a 9 to do this weekend.

Only 2 weekends until the half - hope my muscles hold out!!

Alex.
Good 'onya mate.Stick at it.
Take it from me,Running Fox is one in a million,God knows what he could have achieved as a young 'un.
But he is correct in emphasising the mental side of things.You have to aim high(relative) and believe you can reach a goal before you can.
Good luck in your upcoming race.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just a thought,Are you male/female-"young"/"old"-overweight/underweight,whatever.These things make a difference to ability and perception
of same.Feel free not to tell us if that is how you feel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi there

dont mind sharing my vital statistics at all!! I am female, 30 and about 2 stone overweight.

I did a 9 last weekend, it was a hilly route but i managed without stopping, doing a 10 tonight and thats me resting up until the half on Sunday. ( well, apart from long walks with my dog!)

thanks guys, all the support on here is great!

Alex.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi there Alex, i think your an inspiration, there's to many people out there that don't do any form of excercise, and like many of us on this forum we dont have to be the fastest, in my case be able to run the furthest, we just need to show ourselves, and others that we can incorporate exercise/running into our daily lives, and take part in races and reach our targets. Most importantly to enjoy it as well.
Keep it up, as dell boy always said 'this time next year i'll be a millionaire'.
For me the saying is 'this time next year the marathon might be insight' hehe:d
Hayley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah - managed round in under 3 hours (2.57), which was my target. it was harder than i expected, mostly due to some hills which killed me as i have been doing the majority of my training along the canal which is flat! lesson learned the hard way!

but so glad i got round. my dad ran with me, which was hard for him as it was just that bit too slow for him - but he wanted to pace me to make sure i got in in under 3..

My old school friend and brother belted round in 1.58, so i have some catching up to do for next year :eek:

rest for a few days now, try and heal the pesky blisters!!!

Alex

1 - 20 of 38 Posts