Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there not really long races,but I just wanted to share with you the fact that I have just run 3 races in a week.

Last wed 9th may.Crown to Crown 5k 24:07

Sat 13th May.Essex PB. 5 Miles 38:54

Tues 13th May.Phoenix Striders 5k 24:54
Summer Series

For some of you I know this would be nothing,but pushing myself this hard 3 times in a week was heavy on my legs.

At the end of last nights hilly and muddy race I had well and truely had enough.

It has made me think that when I go out on my usaul 5/6 mile training runs during the week I am spending far too much time in the comfort zone.

I must start to push myself a bit harder now,and start to build up to the Southend Half Marathon in 3 1/2 weeks.

Hope this post wasn`t too boring and self indulgent......................:embarrassed:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
3 races in such a short period is some achievement at whatever level/distance Dave...I've never done it. Good on ya and good times too.

It is easy to train in the comfort zone...and sometimes you need to for recovery purposes. However the only way to race hard is to train hard so you do need to have effort training days...hillwork/speed sessions/tempo runs etc.

With 3 1/2 weeks to the 1/2m I'd do 3 speed sessions, 2 13miles runs at just below race and 4 tempo mid distance runs and then just do comfort runs for the rest....leaving 2 days at least as rest days before the race itself. Of course at the moment I can't do anything but run easy!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well done Dave! I think it is good for you to push yourself more, as long as you don't do any damage. The odd 10k is far too comfortable sometimes. I think 3 in a week is brave though! Was it just to be able to go and celebrate afterwards that appealed to you???:d

I pushed myself hard round a hilly trail 10k and felt better for doing it. This week I have run 3 hard 5 milers, (not races) lasts nights was very slippery and muddy. I pushed myself further than usual, feel knackered, but proved that I have it in me to 'speed up'!

Well done, what's next?

Baggy.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good on you Dave, interesting point about the normal training being in the comfort zone, I think I have reached that stage as well.

Good times for an old 'un !! :d

Dan - 3 races in 3 days is utter madness - what possesed you ? :eek:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice and positive comments.

Steve. I might try to stay close to your suggested programme.

Lyn. No more races until southend half on the 10th June.

Dan. 3 in 3 days......What can I say....

Granty. Maybe one day you`ll be fast enough to beat this old `un.........:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Granty said:
All in good time! , still been pacing myself upto now :embarrassed: :p
Give it 10 years and I might slow down for you.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Excellent news Dave,

Good luck with the Southend 1/2 marathon in June, if you have not done it before its quite a flat good course, just an incline at the end which I didn't find too bad, I done this race last year and unfortunately for me it was shockingly HOT so did not do a good time, but if it wasn't for me going on holiday (shucks) I would have done it as well this year.

Excellent medal and well organised.

Hope you do well TT :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TT.

This will be my first Southend 1/2 although I did run the Southend 10k last year,(my first ever race.)

The only 1/2 I have ever run was Brentwood this year.

Not so hot this year I hope.

Love the sig and avatar.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Love the sig and avatar.[/QUOTE]

I think Steve and Granty will approve... :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
TT - you have seen the light !! - Fantastic - just in time for the start of the test tomorrow

(I'm assuming you know what time it starts ?? :d )

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Granty said:
Does that mean I'm allowed to post in the ladies forum again ?? :p :embarrassed:
Nice move Granty..........................:d

1 - 20 of 30 Posts