Runners Forum banner

30/8/07 Question

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
I ran the course of my next race on Tuesday in 34'04. Last year I did the race in 33'00.

The question therefore is :- How much time does race adrenalin knock off training times? When I do this race again on 9/9 will adrenalin get me close to last year's time?

#4 ·
Well I'm full of wind Baggy so maybe if I let it all out on the day....!

I'd be going some to knock 2mins off Hayley...especially considering the fact that I'm still not 100% injury free and I've put on 5lb due to my reduced running since FLM. I was surprised with the training run time so who knows what adrenalin will do on the day!

#8 ·
Katten said:
Should shave off a minute plus I think. Just don't do what I usually do and hare off way too fast only to slow to a crawl at the end :p

I never do that!:embarrassed: ;)

Actually in this race it's necessary to charge the first part of the course as it is slightly downhill and then flat....the last third of the race consists of 3 hills and 400+ steps which slows everyone down regardless!

#9 ·
Steve, you're absolutely right, if you know the latter part of a course is hard, the usual 'don't go off too fast' has to go out the window. A steady pace to achieve your target is fine on flat courses, I've found if you already know you'll have a couple of slow K's due to hills at the end you've got to get some sharp ones in early to compensate. Oh and I'm sure the adrenaline / atmosphere on the day will give you the edge to beat the training time, good luck.

#10 ·
Steve said:
I ran the course of my next race on Tuesday in 34'04. Last year I did the race in 33'00.

The question therefore is :- How much time does race adrenalin knock off training times? When I do this race again on 9/9 will adrenalin get me close to last year's time?
Race adrenalin helps but I wouldn't like to say how much, but I will say GOOD LUCK :d

#13 ·
richardsimkiss said:
they all count! lol. Good luck Steve... I'd tend to say the effects of 'race adrenaline' varies a bit depending on all sorts of things, I'd have certainly thought it'd help you ake up 62seconds though. What difference is it over if you don't mind me asking?

4.75m is the race distance...with 409 steps( not all up ) and 3 climbs

#20 ·
Cheers guys.

Its odd because every time you race you think you should do a better time but clearly that's not going to happen if you race a lot. Still can't help being frustrated though when the time is worse than before.

Wouldn't say I'm on form yet as I struggled with fitness due to lack of long runs/quality speed/hill sessions over last few months...but I'm getting closer!

16 secs....Asafah Powell can run 100ms, shower off and have a pint in that time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.