Runners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get back into running after several years of putting on weight and dropping my annual mileage.

Im 38 and sitting at about 800 miles for the year. I’ve lost about 25 pounds since New Year’s Day to get back down to 13 stone but I need to lose at least 10 more pounds to feel lean. (I’ve ran 1.45 half’s at this weight but that was 5 years ago).

I impulsively entered the very hilly ‘Path of Condie’ half on 21st August to bridge the gap to the main events I’ve been training for. So the big question is how to plan the next 4 weeks?

I’ve been running 30 miles a week typically over 5 runs. I feel very fatigued as it’s been a long, arduous 7 months of running most days. Should I just half the mileage and try to start feeling fresh again?

Perhaps I just do 2 or 3 bigger runs a week? I’ve done a dozen 10 mile runs so far but they’ve not felt easy amidst the training and weight loss. My two fastest were at 8.10 pace and I’ve lost more weight since then. I tried to beat that today but just felt utterly exhausted by mile 7.

I feel like taking 4 days off then running 12-14 miles (if I can!) just to boost confidence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
9 days to go! You ought to be tapering in the last week if you're not already. You don't want to feel fatigued on the big day. With marathon training, most training plans don't go up to or beyond marathon distance (I think mine went up to 16 or 18 miles) so I don't expect you'd need to do much more than 10 in training...

Best of luck, enjoy it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the 25th July I did 14 miles though having walked the last 1 or 2, I found myself with a chest infection shortly after. I still have it but it’s progresses to a dry tickly cough rather than a phlegmy one now!

On Sunday there (2 weeks out) I ran the half marathon race course. It was meant to be a leisurely pace but I did put a little too much into it. Resulted in pretty painful DOMS but thankfully that’s gone now.

I guess the plan is an easy going 8-10 miler tomorrow then two smaller runs next week prior to the race on the 21st.

I have 4 races all 3-4 weeks apart so it’ll be a strange period of peaking/tapering. If that’s even possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts