Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I have gone through the lenghty but rewarding process of building up up to 30 minutes of running/three times a week (just what the nhs recommends!). This is something new and very exciting, as it enables me to use at last the promenade terrace and show off in view of my neighbours ;-). All the previous training was done in a park, far from the centre of town, partly because I felt more comfortable that way, while doing the run-walk basic training. The pain in the legs is really a lot still. Sometimes I think is too hard what I am doing, for even a whole weekend is sometimes not enough rest and feel slightly unprepared for my run on monday.
I still run 'easy', at 70% of my max., and have a great stretching session afterwards. But there is this plateau at which I seem to have arrived, and it kills me thinking that perhaps 40 is not after all such a youthful age to start running. I keep hopes high though!

A big warm hug to all runners, from Aberystwyth!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great post Sergi.

Keep it up,It will get easier.......:d

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
sergi said:
Hi everybody! But there is this plateau at which I seem to have arrived, and it kills me thinking that perhaps 40 is not after all such a youthful age to start running. I keep hopes high though! A big warm hug to all runners, from Aberystwyth!
Sergi, I started running when I was 54 and still running at 76! Those 22 years have been the happiest and most fulfilled of all my life. I've made scores of new friends, travelled all over the place to Road, X-Country, Track, Fell and Mountain races - and come away with results I never thought I was capable of achieving. Taking up running was one of the best decisions I ever made. Even when I'm not training, or racing, it feels wonderful to don shorts and running shoes and take off into the hills, to become totally detached and just fuse into the surroundings.
So far as I'm concerned, 40 is a very youthful age, the time when life begins! So go for it Sergi. Like me, you may have a great inheritence, but you'll never know until you've tried.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
sergi...Welcome, and 40 is a great age to take up running. You may feel like you plateau now and then but that's perfectly normal. Your body is just getting used to a new regime, and building stronger muscle fibres to cope with the extra stress you're putting on it.

Then when your muscles are ready, all of a sudden, probably when you least expect it you will start to improve again.

The fitter and stronger you become, the shorter the 'plateau' times :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts