Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not raced on the track for over 6 years and felt a little apprehensive about doing this. I did not want to let down the team, but, not having raced for over a year, I could only see the negatives.
When I started my warm up my legs felt like lead, heavy and unresponsive, after half a mile or so they started to loosen up and I felt a little less tense. Now for some strides, all ok and feeling ready to go. I got to the start and checked in, and feeling ready to go, for some reason the start got delayed for around 10 minutes and I was starting to get nervous, everyone looked a lot fitter than me.
Eventually we are called to the start line, as the gun goes off the athlete in front of me falls and I have to dodge round him, and get going everything feels OK, but I feel I am going too fast, which is confirmed as the time called out at the first lap is 10 seconds inside my target pace, I try to ease back slowly and get back into a rhythm, at 1000m I get lapped but the athlete is in the V35 age group so no problem, I decide that I will just try to keep it together for as long as possible and see what happens at 1200m a few more lap me and the things seem to settle down the leader laps me again and I feel that it is still a long way to go, but it is only 2 laps, I try to dig in and salvage something. Relief as I hear the bell, one last push, I grind round the first 200 and try to 'pick it up' in the last 200m as I cross the line I think that I am in last position, but as I look back there is another athlete in my age group (V65) still running.
My official time was 13:11.00, which I would have taken at the start our club record for V65 is 12:53.9, so I have a target to aim for.
After a nice warm down run I felt a lot better about my run and I can take some positives from it, 5th position in my age group and nowhere near as slow as I thought I would be.
The next meeting does not have my age group in the 3000m so I have volunteered for the 2k walk:unsure:, could be interesting I have been practising on the treadmill at the gym.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like a decent result for the race, well done. I used to do hill races and got used to being beaten by 70 years old, now that is sobering.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
That's brill. Well done. 13:11 is not a bad time. It's a pain being lapped but then if you're running with V35s I guess they're going to be running inside 10 minutes.

Reactions: double5
1 - 3 of 3 Posts