Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I was a 10 mins 30 secs 3k runner, but my time has slowed dramatically down to 11mins 40secs. any training tips to improve my time?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Not sure what to advice. 3k seems a strange distance to train for. I guess longer runs and some speed work is the best way to get your time down.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
3k isn't a strange distance JBB :p to road runners it might be, but it's fairly common for track runners ;)

What does your current training load look like CMJ?
The obvious answer is to train harder... lol, but hopefully once we can establish where you are at the moment, we can suggest ways of helping you improve ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3k isn't a strange distance JBB :p to road runners it might be, but it's fairly common for track runners ;)

What does your current training load look like CMJ?
The obvious answer is to train harder... lol, but hopefully once we can establish where you are at the moment, we can suggest ways of helping you improve ;)
On a tuesday, I will do a track session varying from 8x150m to 5x300m, to 3x600m, then monday and sat il do a 3mile run and thursdays i do a 6mile run!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
good question! Interesting that you run your 6miler at as faster pace than your 3miler? Is this intentional? or is there perhaps a difference in course difficulty?

I'd possibly consider swapping one of your 3milers for more speedwork, since th 3k is essentially a speed event, endurance really isn't so much of an issue. Some strength exercises would probably be to great benefit too, though it's not a subject I've ever been too knowledgeable on :embarrassed:

·
Registered
348 Posts
CMJ, what do you think has changed in your training since your times have gone from 10:30 to 11:50?

And what pace do you do your intervals at the moment? If the intervals are as fast as you can, I think you would probably be better doing them longer and at a slower pace (your current 3k pace would be good).

5 x 800m @ 3:10 per rep would be good with 400m jogs between. Remember to warm up and down too. You can knock a second or two off per week as you get fitter again.

I'd probably replace one of the 3 milers with something else as Richard suggested, but probably not a speed session as if you've already run 10.30 then you have the speed. I would guess your stamina is what is lacking. If you are crashing in the second 1/2 of the race I'd be 99% sure you need to work on stamina rather than speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good question! Interesting that you run your 6miler at as faster pace than your 3miler? Is this intentional? or is there perhaps a difference in course difficulty?

Lol!Yeh, I only just notice my time is quicker in 6 miler, and that is a harder course thath the 3!I think it's because I run with other people on the 6 as it is part of a running club.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm doing a 3km time trial with my local club this wednesday, first ever one so a PB guaranteed. Not sure what to aim for though. 11min something I guess?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'm doing a 3km time trial with my local club this wednesday, first ever one so a PB guaranteed. Not sure what to aim for though. 11min something I guess?
Based on your mile and 5k PBS< I reckon you are in similar shape to me.

If I was running one I would aim for 11:20-11:30.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Based on your mile and 5k PBS< I reckon you are in similar shape to me.

If I was running one I would aim for 11:20-11:30.
I'll aim for hopefully sub 11:30 then...

Whats that in pace terms? 6min mile pace? think it is worth running first mile flat out? i.e. pb mile speed then holding on? (sorry for the 20 questions lol)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
@Gary - sub 11 or go home lol ;)
Id go out as oconsistent as possible. Is it on the track? The pace is 6:10 a mile, so roughly 97/98 a lap. The first few might be a little faster, but if you go out too fast youll pay at the end of the race. 3000m can be a really tough raace to get right.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Not sure about sub 11 lol, unless it's one way and we get wind like we had on the 5k race 2 weeks ago. My club is doing a series/club championship - 5k, 3k, 1500m, 800m, 400m, 200m then 100m, I'm currently 3rd after the 5k...but weather was bad so not many turned up lol

5k was on seafront, so 3k might be too..they haven't said yet. Think I can manage 6.10 pace.. I'll find out if guess. 3k is odd, that funny distance that seems short but probably won't feel like it a mile in!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Not sure about sub 11 lol, unless it's one way and we get wind like we had on the 5k race 2 weeks ago. My club is doing a series/club championship - 5k, 3k, 1500m, 800m, 400m, 200m then 100m, I'm currently 3rd after the 5k...but weather was bad so not many turned up lol

5k was on seafront, so 3k might be too..they haven't said yet. Think I can manage 6.10 pace.. I'll find out if guess. 3k is odd, that funny distance that seems short but probably won't feel like it a mile in!
I wish I could race it more, but they haven't got that many track ones in Scotland (or in general). It is an odd distance, Imo it's the upper limit of middle distance, requires lots of speed but also very sensible pacing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well ran the 3K tonight, did it in 11:09, chuffed with that, considering: no warm up, pretty much got off train from work after a 2hr delayed journey and ran it, my laces went undone half way, and I stopped early thinking i had crossed the finish when it was just someone giving encouragement...haha!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Great time gary, how did it go, flat out, paced it, ? 1k splits ? CAC:d

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
well...i just basically followed some faster bloke in front! random glances at watch showed i was doing ~6mm so I just tried to hold that pace - kept thinking about keeping it under 6.10 pace, might have gone a little faster but wasn't sure if I could hold it, pleased i could though.

km splits were: 3.34, 3.48, 3.48. went out very fast well below 6mm pace, then settled quite nicely. Can't imagine doing this for another mile for a 5K on sat!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts