Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I started slimming world last year (purely because my wife does the cooking and she started it so i just kind of ended up on it...)

As i started to notice results i got more into it and started running in March this year and using an exercise bike last month. I have now gone from 18st to 13st 7lb.

I'm really enjoying my running and constantly beating my PR's as I'm getting more into it.

My legs and chest have really toned up but I still have the love handles and stomach (although smaller than before!).

My question is will running and using my exercise bike help reduce these areas? i don't want to be ripped by any means - just slimmer.

Is it time to come off slimming world and go onto a different diet more suited to my exercise?

For info I run anywhere between 3 miles and 10 miles 4 times a week at a pace between 8 - 830 mpm

·
Registered
278 Posts
...but I still have the love handles and stomach (although smaller than before!).

My question is will running and using my exercise bike help reduce these areas? i don't want to be ripped by any means - just slimmer. Is it time to come off slimming world and go onto a different diet more suited to my exercise?
Yes and No. If you were thinking in terms of "spot reduction", then No (Google for "spot reduction myth"), and it's pretty much irrespective of your type of exercise - be it running or rowing, but in terms of general approach - Yes, as it will bring down your overall body fat ratio, combined w/ diet, of course.

Those particular areas (for men) are the last to budge, usually.. I'm not familiar with your specific diet, but LCHF (low carb high fat, that is)/Keto did miracles for me, I had a six-pack (not ripped nor Men's Health Cover Model type, of course) in 3 months w/o doing any gym stuff or abs exercise, just running + LCHF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. only problem is looking side on i already look thin and don't really want to be any thinner i just want these love handles gone. I googled spot reduction and see what you mean about not being able to do it! also gave keto a read which was very interesting but cant get my wife on board with that diet!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do circuits, yoga, pilates or something along those lines once or twice a week. That will also improve your core strength which will help a lot with running.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the reply. only problem is looking side on i already look thin and don't really want to be any thinner i just want these love handles gone. I googled spot reduction and see what you mean about not being able to do it! also gave keto a read which was very interesting but cant get my wife on board with that diet!
It's been a general consensus and my own experience as well - you cannot really spot reduce fat. Yes, certain areas (thighs/hips for women, belly for men) are the hardest to get rid off and that's where the excess fat deposits first as well.

Having said that, I just googled and found this:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-spot-reduction-myth/

Just skimmed through it - perhaps you can after all, but I wouldn't rely on it and it's probably a marginal effect only anyway

Re: Keto, it's a rather strict diet but easy to follow.. but it worked for me. I hadn't really tried any other known diets before (Atkins etc) other than simply being more mindful about my diet and doing 2000kcal but w/ that I just wasn't really tapping into fat reserves, got cravings etc..

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everyone :) im new and this thread intrigue me. hows running going for you thus far? i hope youve reahed your goal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts