Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ran 4 miles in 40 mins? It was my second day I've done that. I'm a complete beginner.

How am I doing?:embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
diego said:
Yesterday I ran 4 miles in 40 mins? It was my second day I've done that. I'm a complete beginner.

How am I doing?:embarrassed:
Well done Diego.

Just be careful not to do too much too soon.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
4 miles in 40mins is a very respectable time indeed.

Like Dave says, be careful not to over do it at the beginning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot to learn

Thank you all for your comments :d

Yes, I'm looking for 'quality' but is not easy. There are a lot of things to bear in mind. For instance, I don't know how to stretch properly and for how long.

I bought a magazine yesterday, I don't have it with me now but I believe the name is "Running word" or "Runners magazine" something like that. But there is just one article for beginners and the rest is about marathons and professional expectations.

The article is about fat people trying to loss weight running. And seems to me that running is not very good for lossing weight. What do you think? I need to losse 5Kg and I don't know how I should be running!!! I'm open to suggestions here!!

By the way, 10k is 10,000 metres or 10 miles?

Thank you all for reading. :rolleyes:

Diego
Essex

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Diego,

I have lost over 2 stones in a year or so running, and before then I had tried many other things to lose weight but all had failed (more to do with my willpower I think than anything else) - stick with it and I'm sure you will see the pounds dropping off add that to the increase to your fitness and for me its a no brainer.

and 10K is about 6 miles I think.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i agree at first i didnt lose any weight running but eventually it started to come off and i feel so much healthier and fitter apart from my knee problem i'm on top of the world.:p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
My gosh he must have been retaining a lot of water.....how's his bp?
His BP is fine Edwina thank you. He didnt take his water tablet onthe morning of the race so that he wouldnt want to stop for a wee wee at the side of the road lol, which was his main fear as you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can defiantly say that you can loose weight with running.

Here’s my story 14 years ago I was a 16 stone smoker, and made a New Years resolution to stop smoking loose weight and get fit.
So I crushed the cigs I had left, started running (well shuffling then) and started eating salads and the like.
6 months later, after steadily building my nightly run up to 6 miles and Sunday run to 10 mile I had got my weight down to 11 stones, and I ran my first 10K race in 45min’s that was in 1993.
I went on to complete lots more 10Ks plus over 80 half marathons and 19 full marathons.
That’s the good bit

The down side is I now daren’t get on the scales but think I weigh about 17 stone. Why, well a few things, a couple of injury’s but mainly self indulgence i.e. beer and curry, living in Bradford its there in abundance.
I haven’t lost hope though I am still very much involved in running as a club secretary, race organiser and coach.
But there’s nothing like stepping out that door into the sunshine with your running shoes on.
So as the song says (keep on running), don’t finish up like me.

There may be light at the end of the tunnel though as my fellow club mates are doing there best to get my Asics back on my feet. And if I manage to do my 20th marathon I’ll let you all know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts