Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as i've stated before i'm new to running. i've been cycling for a few years and thats what i have focussed on mainly.
now i'm getting into the running thing, i've tested my ability and i can manage a 5k in 22 mins, with a push.
anyway , i have 4 weeks until my 1st duathlon and whilst i know there is no quick fix, anybody got any tips for a bit of improvement. my own plan was to keep up the 10 training runs but pepper them with some 800mt sprints, then have a few days off before my race and hope for the best.
my endurance is pretty good so i feel i will be ok in that department but i need some speed.

Edit:
the duathlon is 5k 30k bike then 5k.

Any advice welcome

Craig

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
You are way above me, but I have read some people saying they have trouble running after a hard cycle? Might be worth putting in some mixed sessions

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cycling is great for base fitness but you have to put the hours/miles in. typically last winter i was doing 70 miles every sunday and 2 0r 3 pretty hard 90 minute turbo sessions in the week.
if you are near a gym that does spinning classes, try doing one of them followed by a run after. or mix it up if you live close enough, you could run to the gym, spin class then run home.

i'll be back to that this year with as much running as i can manage. i just cant make the time for the long cycling rides these days, new arrival expected soon, literally tomorrow but they come when they are ready:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that would equate to an average spinning class (45 mins approx) followed by 20 odd minutes on the road running, (i could do that on a weekday evening - might give it a go)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it don't hurt after a few attempts believe me, it gets the heart pumping.
and if the music is good it is a great mood lifter

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Spinning doesn't do it for me..kills my knees and the music..well......

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd spend some time on your transitions too... I don't know if your planning on cycling in your trainers, or clipped in with those SPD type pedal things... but I'm sure it'll seem quite different in a race to changing leisurely at home - so practice it a few times as if you were racing - may only shave off a few seconds, but it's a fairly effortless few seconds that'd be a lot harder to make up on the run/cycle ;)

as for speed vs endurance, it may be worth noting that cycling endurance & general fitness endurance doesn't translate as well as you might hope to running endurance... that being the constant repetitive use of certain muscles for running over long periods the only way to build that really is to run lots! Long runs also help you to adapt to a more efficient style of running - so don't discount them completely ;)

Maybe make a point of running speed or endurance on each run? try and cut out the 'average distance, average speed' if you're trying to improve fitness/performance as quickly as possible you'd be better off focusing and hard runs with a distinct purpose - of course don't forget to taper nicely too ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, i have those trainers with elastic laces and shimano sl cycle shoes complete with the pointy hat full attire, i'll also run in a cycling skinsuit, they can larrf if they want but it all helps.
i reckon on doing runs of not longer than 10k at a time, as even though longer runs will benefit me long term, i don't have long term before this event, 4 weeks including taper time.
i will however back off of the long 70 miler cycle rides, they can come in the winter if i get bored on a sunday.
so it's 10 k or 5k runs, with some shorter intervals and maybe just a couple of hours a week cycle or spin class.

i'm now up to the stage where i can run 2 days back to back, albeit a bit painful but i could not do that 2 weeks ago. i still struggle with the heart rate thing but it'll come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts