Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new challenge. It is called the Classic Quarter and involves covering the South West Coast Path from Lizard to Land's End (44 miles) in a day.

It can be a solo challenge or taken on in teams of four and will set off from Lizard Point at dawn with the aim of reaching Land’s End before dusk. It is no coincidence that we have chosen to run the event on Saturday 28 June 2008 - one of the longest days of the year.

Where did the idea come from? It was partly because I run on the cliffs on The Lizard and have often wondered how long it would take to get to 'the other side'. The other reason is, having recently experienced the magnificent work done by our local hospices, I wanted to do something to generate a long-term flow of money for them. The hospices are: St Julia’s, Mount Edgcumbe and Children’s Hospice South West.

Why Quarter? Well that is because the run takes you from the most southerly point in the country to the most westerly point - so it is a quarter of the country on a compass in a day.

The event is being run by Endurancelife. The entry fee is £50 per solo runner and £120 per team of four, which covers the cost of running the event. However, we would also like each participant to raise at least the same again for the hospices in sponsorship.

If you want to know more, just ask. I did it last year, but I have to admit that I am no endurance runner, it took almost 11 hours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training for the Classic Quarter

Too right, even starting in March seems woefully short, but I recklessly managed on less last year. The aim is not be starting the run with niggles this year.

You would really need to be training up for another big one or have some fun and put together a relay team of four. It has got to be one of the most beautiful courses in the calender and where else can you see the finish for almost all the race (on a clear day)!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts