Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I am new to running..

I am 25yo weight lifter, and am going to be doing my first half marathon.. I have no idea how to programme my training. Obviously I would like to maintain strength as best I can and cut back on my lifting volume maybe lighten the squats a bit..

Is it just a case of slowly adding in miles and allow my lifting program to take care of my strength and power. The power exercise I do is powercleans which teaches full body speed under a load and is used in most sporting endeavors, sprinting, football, rugby etc.

I am thinking of something like this:

Mon - 2mile slow pace run.

Tuesday - strength training and maybe some fast aerobic cardio.

Wednesday - 3mile slow pace

Thurs - strength training and maybe some fast aerobic cardio.

Fri - - 2mile slow pace

Sat - rest

Sun - 4 mile slow

aim to increase distance for runs and maintain strength in lifting, fast paced cardio or cross training to cover all bases..

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I don't think your strength training will help you a great deal in a half marathon. If you are carrying a lot of muscle bulk, distance running will be more difficult for you. What you need more than anything else is build up endurance by putting in the miles. You need to build up to a point where you can comfortably run 10 or 11 miles before the race.

What kind of time do you want to aim for, or is it just about completing it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there,

about 4hours, I don't carry a lot of muscle, around 12 stone, 5'9 around 14% bodyfat.. I would like to maintain some strength so dropping lifting completely would be ott for me.

A basic training day looks like atm for 3times a week:

squats 117k 3x5
bench 77k 3x5
deads 150k x5
chins - added 15k 3x6

I would cut it down to 2 sets 2xper week with deadlifts every other week. How much would running eat into recovery? I notice looking at training programmes that it doesn't appear to require anything like the amount of rest one would need with weightlifting..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry lol, spot the fool... I would aim for around 1.5 to 2h. Racing my younger brother and he signed us up as expected 2h.

It may be 4hours when I pass out half way lol..

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
blimey... you're a weightlifter and still only 12st? I wish I was you! I try and consider myself a runner but i'm still 12st 7/8lb without doing anything to build muscle mass :( (i'm only an inch taller than you too!)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've not had a beer for a few weeks now, and before that it was probably another month since I had one. As for biscuits... not too bothered, jaffa cakes seem to be my downfall atm :(

Still not convinced I overeat though! :((

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep mate 12 stone, I pull around 160kg for a triple thats just over double my bodyweight (very average btw)... I have a small frame lol.. I can give ideas on how to drop fat but know nothing about being a runner...

all this cardio will be a shock to my system..:d

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm training for the Glasgow Half marathon and I'm only doing two days a week in the gym. I would suggest not bothering with cardio on the days you lift - you'll get enough of that on the days you run!

I'd also lighten up the squats a bit, but make sure to keep some sort of poundage progression going as the strength will help you running. I upped my squat by 10kg at the weekend (by mistake, should have been five) and suffered for it the next day on my long run.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello mate

Theres not that much more you can do really in terms of adjusting your weight training as that is a very consise training program as it is. The obvious advice would have been to stick to core lifts, few sets and low reps to try and maintain as much strength as possible, but you already do that.

Perhaps drop down to 2 days a week of lifting , maybe one ? You aren't going to get any improvement in your lifts whilst simultaneously doing long distance running so my opinion is that you might as well do only enough lifting to try and limit the damage of the running on your strength and keep an eye on recovery.

Look at your diet as well, it may be neccessary to adjust carbs and protein (up) to cope with the extra activity and try and spare your muscle. If possible get some advice on how the shape of your body and posture ( which will be affected by the muscle being carried, and disproportion caused by lifting ) can be improved to avoid injury. Lifters and ex lifters tend to run hunched over, and in my case lop sided from old squat injuries.

Take a look at interval training, the format of it will appeal to a weight lifter, its quick and hard and structured a little like sets and reps that you will be accustomed to.

Sorry for waffling. Good luck, it'll be bloody hard. And if you are doing 4 miles within a week then you made the transition a hell of alot better than me :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts