Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been gradually building up my running to the point that i can run quiet comfortably between 4/5 miles. When i first started this was my goal, however things change and i want to go further....but i cant ...my legs and mind just don't want to go further...

any advice on to taking my running to another level....or should i be happy at my first goal and stick to my comfort zone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi filaborg

Can you post some of the sessions you have been doing and/or a typical training week so we can help

(Before we see these - ask yourself - was it "quite comfortable" when you first started? - and you may be on the way to answering your own question...)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Firstly, well done on hitting your goal.

What I tend to do is tell myself I can go further but then take 3 or 4 days off, relax, and then on the 5th day head out on a new route, don't go round the same one because you will know in your mind when the 5 mile mark is. If your on a new route then you don't know the 5 mile area so you will probably get a bit further, then go take a day off and try your old route again and this time tell yourself that you can go further than 5 miles and really push yourself to get past the 5 mile mark, even if its only 1/2 mile. Its still 1/2 mile more than you did last time.

Another good way to do it is post on the forum, tell everyone your going to aim for 6 miles tonight and then when your out running you will be motivated to come back on here and say "I did it!" :) It worked for me when I was trying to up my 1/2 marathon pace.

O.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
intriathlete said:
Hi filaborg

Can you post some of the sessions you have been doing and/or a typical training week so we can help

(Before we see these - ask yourself - was it "quite comfortable" when you first started? - and you may be on the way to answering your own question...)

typical training week is after work every other day 3 miles , then 5 miles on a Saturday & Sunday. I think its my diet....chocolate, curry and beer....in the time i have been jogging i have not lost one pound....

no it was not comfortable when i first started.....still struggle big time with the first 2 miles :d

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Owain said:
Firstly, well done on hitting your goal.

What I tend to do is tell myself I can go further but then take 3 or 4 days off, relax, and then on the 5th day head out on a new route, don't go round the same one because you will know in your mind when the 5 mile mark is. If your on a new route then you don't know the 5 mile area so you will probably get a bit further, then go take a day off and try your old route again and this time tell yourself that you can go further than 5 miles and really push yourself to get past the 5 mile mark, even if its only 1/2 mile. Its still 1/2 mile more than you did last time.

Another good way to do it is post on the forum, tell everyone your going to aim for 6 miles tonight and then when your out running you will be motivated to come back on here and say "I did it!" :) It worked for me when I was trying to up my 1/2 marathon pace.

O.

Very sound advice...thanks...i think after 5 miles im totally bored, i have had enough.

As i have reached my goal my next step is to loose a few pounds.... so my next question is do have to jog further in order for some weight loss or jog more often....

and im not going to cut out my beer and currys before anyone says :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I would say its down to diet Im affraid. I started running to loose weight but then ran to train for 1/2 marathons and full marathons. The weight has dropped off (lost 1.5stones since January) but I have cut out alcohol almost completely (don't miss it), cut out chocolate and crisps (maybe have a bag of crisps once every 2 weeks) and made my evening meals smaller, unless Ive done a big run and I need the energy. Small changes make a big difference....I think Beer is one of the worst things to keep the pounds on.

If your getting bored while out running take some music with you or put an audiobook on your mp3 player, concentrate on the music rather than the distance and you will be suprised how much better you feel :)

O.

·
Registered
44 Posts
filaborg said:
typical training week is after work every other day 3 miles , then 5 miles on a Saturday & Sunday. I think its my diet....chocolate, curry and beer....in the time i have been jogging i have not lost one pound....

no it was not comfortable when i first started.....still struggle big time with the first 2 miles :d
so in short - you have become good(?) at running five miles because your training has little variety (I bet you even go the same route...:p )

I agree with owain but for your evening session once a week, why don't you go a bit shorter but a bit faster (BE VERY CAREFUL AT FIRST..) just to keep your body guessing.

Re - losing weight - if you can afford to - splash out on a heart rate monitor (I am a Polar fan) - Expect to pay around £35 quid for a decent basic model.

And then google "fat burning zone" or go here

http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=3

Let us know how you get on

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I should have explained about the MP3, if you running in a park, coastal path, non-traffic route then have one on but keep it low enough to be able to hear someone walking behind you or a cyclists coming near you. Don't have it blasting out at the top of the volume.
If your on a high traffic route then don't bother with the MP3 as you will miss things like cars coming round corners and things like that and I agree, it could be dangerous.

Some people enjoy using an MP3, others don't. I use mine for long runs just to keep my mind of the running, for shorter runs I just listen to the world going by :)

If this isnt what you mean by dangerous Intriathlete then please tell me more by what you mean.

A running club is a good place to improve, Im currently planning on joining a club so I can work on improving my pace.

I found the best way to loose the weight is not to worry about it too much, just enjoy the running. :)

O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's your pace over the 5 miler?

perhaps you're just trying to push too many variables at once.

It's not wise to push yourself on speed/distance more than about 10% per week.

My advice would be to drop the pacve to 13 minute miles to see how far that gets you. It's amazing how much a long run can motivate you. Aim for 6 miles, then push it by one mile every two weeks at the same pace. Once the distance is at 10 miles, look at some speed work sessions.

In any event, look at doing some interval training sessions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Owain said:
I should have explained about the MP3, if you running in a park, coastal path, non-traffic route then have one on but keep it low enough to be able to hear someone walking behind you or a cyclists coming near you. Don't have it blasting out at the top of the volume.
If your on a high traffic route then don't bother with the MP3 as you will miss things like cars coming round corners and things like that and I agree, it could be dangerous.

Some people enjoy using an MP3, others don't. I use mine for long runs just to keep my mind of the running, for shorter runs I just listen to the world going by :)

If this isnt what you mean by dangerous Intriathlete then please tell me more by what you mean.

A running club is a good place to improve, Im currently planning on joining a club so I can work on improving my pace.

I found the best way to loose the weight is not to worry about it too much, just enjoy the running. :)

O.
yes thats what I meant - mp3 players (or anything) acting as an impairment to concentration can be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good points Barnsley on pace... I've often suggested that people slow down to a pace where they can hold a conversation without gasping for breath and they soon find they can run further. If it's boredom though, you'll need to find another way to crack it ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Barnsley Chop said:
My advice would be to drop the pacve to 13 minute miles to see how far that gets you. It's amazing how much a long run can motivate you.
~4mph is practically walking pace :confused: and a long run certainly doesn't motivate me and personally, i see no point doing long runs if you can't actually run them !

filaborg - do what you want... everyone has their own take on things but i don't agree with people here... i was in your situation a couple of months ago and what i did first was add extra 3 mile runs a week... then very slowly i built up my running to what it is now but it was a very long time until i could physically run more than the 5 mile barrier... the only reason i do so now is because i've become faster and can cover 7 miles now in the same time as it took me to run 5 miles three months ago... stick at it and i'm sure you'll be able to do the same !... good luck ! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your aim is to lose weight then slower longer runs is the way forward. The lower the intensity of the workout the better it is for weight loss. So I'd agree with Barnsley, drop down the speed, add some distance to the work out and think of the weight loss when you get bored!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
guys thanks for all of your replies...will take on board what you have said......thanks ....

im off for a jog.....then a curry...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Owain said:
How did your jog go last night?

O.

Thanks for asking Owain....took on board what everyone mentioned and i think for me it has to be jogging different routs. Did not really set out where i was going to go just kept on running, when i arrived home done a google earth to measure my distance and just under 6 miles...so there was an improvement....

·
Registered
44 Posts
filaborg said:
Thanks for asking Owain....took on board what everyone mentioned and i think for me it has to be jogging different routs. Did not really set out where i was going to go just kept on running, when i arrived home done a google earth to measure my distance and just under 6 miles...so there was an improvement....

Nice one :d Keep your body (and mind) guessing...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
What 5 mile barrier eh? ;) Well done, now you've realised these barriers don't really exist, you'll soon find your way onto longer weekend runs :) Sticking in your comfort zone is fine, but it's certainly not the way to speedy improvements!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts