Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

newbie to the forum, but have been running for a year or so.

I regularly run 5K 2-3 times a week, and have completed a 10K early in my running training. Does anybody have any tips for training for further distances? Run more often/intertwine with shorter runs/etc? I've seen suggestion of running twice a day as well, so not sure what is best for running overall.

The goal ultimately is to run a half marathon in the end, although happy to do anything as a start.

·
4,207 Posts
Build slowly, try increasing your weekly mileage by a max of 10% at time , increase the length of your runs or run more times a week or a mixture of both. don't keep increasing the mileage, take it up for 3 weeks and then drop down for a week and then build up again. try to mix up your running paces, Stick mostly to aerobic running but do the odd tempo run or a bit of fartlek. Take your time building up to avoid injuries, Rome was not built in a day :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
As Double5 said, be patient and build the mileage up by 10% each week.

I built my mileage up a bit too quick, and had been suffering injury. I was using a foam roller, strengthening exercises, and doing a recovery run the same day. It did hold most of the injuries back, but a knee injury eventually caught me up and has taken me out of running for the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try running by time and not distance. I was doing 14 minutes (out - I had to come back) Tuesday, then 14, 16 minutes, 18 minutes Saturday with Sunday just an easy long run. Alternating between fastish pace and easy run pace.
Started the next week with 16 minutes... etc. When I felt I was getting near my limit I regressed and started again. Seemed like a good idea and it certainly helped improve my 10 K times.
Seriously, just running for time instead of distance makes things seem easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts