Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone done this? I usually do a 5k trial on Saturdays that I really enjoy and I've got a 10K on Sunday coming. Do you think I can do both without running a painful 10k on the Sunday? I usually do my long run on the Sunday following my faster 5K on the Saturday but the long run is easy and slower in pace anyway, so I can manage that reasonably well. I was thinking of doing the 5k nice and easy and also to keep my overall weekly mileage up for my half marathon next month. What do you think?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Kind of done it in reverse last year by accident (or carelessness more accurately!). the previous year I had ran in a 10K and 5K in Glasgow a few weeks apart. Signed up again for both last year after receiving emails, without paying attention to the dates. turned out the 10K was on the Sunday and the 5K on the Tuesday, so one day break. Went ahead anyway, and actually did PBs in both (44:41 and 21:21). Wouldn't make a habit of it though!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I find that I can't run hard two days in a row, based on past experience. I agree with your own suggestion of taking it slighlty easier on the 5km and save your energy for the race.

As you're doing the 5km every week, taking it easy one week won't have much impact on your overall fitness.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Calton, I was surprised to read that you PB'd in both - that's not going to happen for me. lol.
Grant, I was thinking along those very lines myself about it not affecting my overall fitness, but I'll take the 5K easy, nonetheless.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Calton, I was surprised to read that you PB'd in both - that's not going to happen for me. lol.
Grant, I was thinking along those very lines myself about it not affecting my overall fitness, but I'll take the 5K easy, nonetheless.
I would have been disappointed not to get the PB in the 10 tbh, as I had been training well and it was a good course. getting another in the 5 a couple of days later surprised me I must admit, but I decided just to give it all I had left, maybe shows what you can be capable of when pushed. As I say, wouldn't do two races so close together again (although given I've yet to beat either time since maybe I shouldn't rule it out !).

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess it depends on your level of training as always. Both races total under 10 miles with a rest period in between. That is less than some peoples training runs.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
An easy 5k before a raced 10k next day shouldn't be a problem IMHO

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
agreed with steve... but with the emphasis being on the EASY part of the 5k... if you run it as a TT, then you won't be running to your full potential for the 10k.

If I were running the 10k on Sunday, I personally would spend all day saturday resting, to hell with weekly mileage since it's a race week :cool: Of course plenty of other people would be happy to run both 5k & 10k... some would even run both flat out!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It depends if your wanting to improve times or are just trying to get the miles up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts