Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm training so I can do 5k in sub 20 mins. I'm getting there, PB down to 21:01. But still got a 1 minute to go. My current plan is:

Mon - Rest
Tues - intervals (5mins at 15kmh, 4 mins at 12kmh X 3-4 on treadmill)
Wed - Rest
Thurs - intervals (5mins at 15kmh, 4 mins at 12kmh X 3-4 on treadmill)
Fri - Rest
Sat - 25min tempo (85-90% HR) or 5K Time Trial.
Sun - 70 min Slow Run (70%HR)

I was thinking of swopping out an interval for an fartlek run (that'll let me do some speedwork greater than 15kmh). What do people think of that option? Also, I aim to build up to 4-5 intervals. Would it be worth reducing the rest periods between the intervals or increasing the number of intervals?

Also does anyone think I need to change this plan to run faster for the 5K? Would it be useful to add another run on Wednesday?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd comment and say your speedwork could perhaps benefit from a bit of variation... To manage a decent 5k time, you need a decent 3k time, and to manage a decent 3k time, you could do with a decent 1500m time ;) So try your intervals over varying distances (at varying paces), with varying recovery periods... over time try and build up the number of reps you manage, and cut down the recovery time :)

I hope that doesn't sound too critical - You've got a decent starting point with your schedule, I just thought I'd offer my thoughts :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I must admit to never having done interval training. What got me below 20 for a 5k was long runs (10-15 miles) on weekends. Maybe I just always had pretty good basic speed, so didn't need to do interval runs? I really don't know.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
my long run was only just over 7 miles but i did a lot of 5 mile runs...

so maybe increasing your milage is the answer ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Thanks,

Good tips there. One question, what's wrong with the treadmill run? It get's me running at the exact speed I need to do the 5k in 20 mins. I'm thinking that the treadmill isn't exactly like running outdoor...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It isn't the same, I think you need to be running at a ~1% gradient on a treadmil to mimic running outside to counter how the treadmil helps you run. I'm pretty surprised that you can do ~9mph on a treadmil - I can't imagine I'd be able to do it. I think it will be easier doing speedwork outdoors and it's bound to be more fun as at least you feel you are going somewhere and you won't have to stare at yourself reflection in the mirror for half an hour ! I'm not sure if you can do intervals outdoors, I have never done them, but I'm guessing you need an athletics track. Maybe replace them with fartleks instead? Not sure. Also, I don't think you need to try and run as fast as you can every time you run. Three speedwork session a week is a lot when you are running four times a week. I normally only do one speedwork session a week and I even find that very hard to do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Revenged said:
It isn't the same, I think you need to be running at a ~1% gradient on a treadmil to mimic running outside to counter how the treadmil helps you run. I'm pretty surprised that you can do ~9mph on a treadmil - I can't imagine I'd be able to do it. I think it will be easier doing speedwork outdoors and it's bound to be more fun as at least you feel you are going somewhere and you won't have to stare at yourself reflection in the mirror for half an hour ! I'm not sure if you can do intervals outdoors, I have never done them, but I'm guessing you need an athletics track. Maybe replace them with fartleks instead? Not sure. Also, I don't think you need to try and run as fast as you can every time you run. Three speedwork session a week is a lot when you are running four times a week. I normally only do one speedwork session a week and I even find that very hard to do.

I only use my treadmill for speedwork / hill work. I set the gradient at 3%, and I can certainly get over 9mph :cool:.... or I will set my speed and increase the gradient by 1% every, for example, 5 mins... I certainly only ever do this at max once a week, most of the time not even that... just when I can be arsed....

If ever I use the treadmill for "normal" running, I will always run at 3% / 4% gradient, as anything less just seems a little easier than running outside.... I dont particularly like using my treadmill (great buy for £700!), but I find it very very useful for speedwork.... (and also when my legs are feeling a little too battered for concrete).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts