Runners Forum banner

5k runnung program suggestions please

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  philipb 
#1 ·
at current fitness levels my 5k time is around the 30min mark and I'm looking to lower that time

the couch 2 5k program seems popular but I feel is to tame to motivate me as there is a little to much walk/run in this program for me? So I feel I need the next stage up from the couch program.

Any suggestions please

#2 ·
You could always use C25K but jog the walks and run the runs fast.

#3 ·
I've heard people doing C25K again and doing exactly what Zoe suggested i.e. using the runs as interval sessions. What worked for me in improving my 5K time though (I was at 34 minutes when I finished C25K and am down to 26 minutes now) was running distances longer than 5K - initially runs up to 6.5-7.5K then up to 10K and more. I've seen my 5K time really tumble since I started doing that.

#5 ·
Don't look down on walk\run. Elites do it when necessary. If your heart rate requires you to walk, then walk. If you're overweight then consider losing body fat, as your 5K time will drop noticeably with every few kg you've lost.

Otherwise, you can look at the final week of C25K, and just expand the training volume, but not the intensity. Their final weeks go up in 0.25mile increments, so just continue doing that. Everyone's longest run was 3 miles at some point, until they chose to do 4,5, and so on. Consider running more than 3 days a week and when you're comfortable add in fartleks and hill sprints.

A tightly structured plan is unnecessary for you, so do whatever you enjoy and find challenging, while making sure to build weekly volume.

#7 ·
I can't say what will work best for you, but I don't like following plans. I make things up as I go along depending how i feel, but I try to mix things up.

I don't usually have a plan, I go out for a run and then as I head off decide what I will do, that might be a nice gentle 5k run at tempo pace, it might be an all out 5k as fast as I can, it could also be an interval session. I tend to just do whatever i feel like doing that day.

My best results have been from just running at tempo quite often, that seems to have improved my running more than anything and they are the runs I most enjoy as they do not feel too hard.

#8 ·
from the replies above I guess it proves the strategy that to run faster you need to combine longer runs to build stamina with intervals to build speed.

I saw this page that list a few programs and the number of miles per week you need to run to complete them.

a beginner program is 9-13 miles per week with an elite plan requires 40 miles per week. my current training is in the beginner range so I guess a good plan is to increase the number of training miles I do. I think I read somewhere a 10% increase per week is sensible rate to aim for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.