Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back into running, I am trying to get my 5k under 30 minutes, any suggestions or advice please

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did a bit of a boot camp to get back into things in January so my advice would be to build up time on your feet gradually and not overdo things.

Run/walk if you have to in order to build a base fitness. I was so out of shape there I was just doing a mile warm up to the park, then doing really easy hill reps for 10 mins, followed by an easy 1 mile jog home.

Have plenty of rest days too. I’m sure after 3 or 4 weeks of consistently getting out there for runs and brisk walks you’ll feel the stamina to run for 30 mins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was my goal too for years and I really struggled, I felt like I wasn’t improving at all. What finally got me there was building up mileage for more than 5k, (running regular 10+km but a lot slower) and generally doing lots of slower runs.

Then when I felt I was closer to a 30-min 5k (by that point running a 31-min 5k), I got a friend who was a faster runner to pace me. I could never have done that one on my own!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was my goal too for years and I really struggled, I felt like I wasn’t improving at all. What finally got me there was building up mileage for more than 5k, (running regular 10+km but a lot slower) and generally doing lots of slower runs.

Then when I felt I was closer to a 30-min 5k (by that point running a 31-min 5k), I got a friend who was a faster runner to pace me. I could never have done that one on my own!
I'm 57 and started jogging around 18 months ago. I find it really tough to be honest. I sometimes think I might give up and keep doing just bootcamps, which feel easier. I'm doing 5k in 28 to 29 minutes, sometimes in over 30 min if I'm a bit under that day. This is a great sport and saves you so much time and money too, so I'll try to keep it on.
My best wishes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts