Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yes I ran 5K tonight!!!! Brilliant. Was a good run and felt brill. I never thought I'd get here.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Excellent stuff, people all seem to be reaching their goals at the moment it's great :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every week I reach my goal, I dont see the 26 miles I only see what I have to do that week. Then the week after I increase my milage and thats my next goal.
At the end of the day, my ultimate goal is to run the marathon, and in between I have mini goals to reach.

Recently I have been facing some negitivity about me running a marathon, but I just have to look at my training diary and I can quite plainly see what I have a achieved.
I only wish these people see how hard I work at achieving my goal. Most dont work as hard as I do, and most will not be running the marathon.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Great going. I use mini goals throughout my life. I can't face just looking at the end result, it seems to far away but broken down into bitesize chunks is a different matter.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi littlered, well done on getting to this target. The Edinburgh marathon is a nice run, if you can call a marathon nice! Im hoping to do my second one next year, I did my first this year and was so pleased with myself when I finished it, the training is well worth, keep at it and you will be fine.

O.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Recently I have been facing some negitivity about me running a marathon, but I just have to look at my training diary and I can quite plainly see what I have a achieved.

I have found the blog a good way to keep my motivation up. I'm entering every day even if I haven't run and it is a real treat (and zero calories:happy:) ) Ignore negativity if you can- challenge anyone else to do the marathon and see how they shape up. I haven't had the courage to look that far ahead yet although a friend of mine started running in his mid 40s and has run about 3 at around 3.20 ish. I could probably do the same but it'd be 3 days 20! Just focus on the fun you'll have showing them your marathon medal

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use an excel spreadsheet and it is filled in till May next year.

I know what I'm doing and when. I can see the start and the end and bloody hell it looks scary, but I can only see what I'm achieving this week, next week well thats next week and I'll worry about that when it's here. Thats the way I see it. One running day at a time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

I read somewhere that you shouldnt try and increase your mileage each week by more than 10% is that true?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
It is a guide statement that helps control people. Especially useful for keen new runners. There are plenty of people who will break it but know what they are doing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wouldnt repeat that every week of course, I'm not going to increase to 3 miles until I can do 2 more comfortably and regularly

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a knee problem that set me back 3 weeks, but after seeing a physio and with some excercises to do it got better. He told me that i should taper before i increse my milage.

He said i was to do 2k, 2k, 2k, 1.7k then 2.5k. I thought what the..... but it has worked, i now increse by 1/2k every week and i can manage that just fine. Next week 5.5k then 6k the week after.

Before i was just increasing by 10%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts