• Why do I care?!!

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I or shouldn't I?

The next club champs race is next Sunday..14/9/08 and is the Scores...older forumites have heard of it before but for newer members it's a 4.75m race in Lowestoft which involves several short sharp inclines and 407steps. Quite a tough little short race.

Since my Swiss adventure back in July with SWMBO I've not really got my legs turning over at any real pace so don't think I'll put in a decent performance in this race. If it wasn't a club champs race I wouldn't enter it.

So the question is should I run it or not?

The decision is yours.:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
If it doesn't interfere with any training schedules or imminent races then it would be rude not to. Anyhow you shouldn't only run because you know you will do well.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I think you should go for it.

As its a race you'll probably run harder than you would in a normal training session, and that might be enough to give your regualr training a kick start.

Plus the hills and steps will help you leg strength.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it doesn't interfere with any training schedules or imminent races then it would be rude not to. Anyhow you shouldn't only run because you know you will do well.
True Hrun...but I have got a niggly groin injury which feels worse when I do any hill or speed work which this race would involve.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If it were not a club champs race I could consider that as an option but I know it'll be a competitive run if I line up...and there is one chap who I know has been training to beat me!!

( NB I have no worries about being beaten in races by anyone ....it happens all the time!)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
How are you doing in the club championships. If you've got a good lead over your rival, you could race just to get championships points on the board.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
If it were not a club champs race I could consider that as an option but I know it'll be a competetive run if I line up...and there is one chap who I know has been training to beat me!!

( NB I have no worries about being beaten in races by anyone ....it happens all the time!)
Then it would be really churlish of you not to! ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thought about that too Ali...he did beat me in this race last year but this year I've been ahead of him in all races....if I run I believe it might turn into a cat and mouse affair betweeen the two of us!!

Grant,
I do have a lead over him in the champs so just by racing I'll probably maintain/increase the lead...it's an age grading system and I'm 7 years older than him.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I had thought about that too Ali...he did beat me in this race last year but this year I've been ahead of him in all races....if I run I believe it might turn into a cat and mouse affair betweeen the two of us!!

Grant,
I do have a lead over him in the champs so just by racing I'll probably maintain/increase the lead...it's an age grading system and I'm 7 years older than him.
With that in mind, I'd definately go for it. You keep your lead and get a hard training session into the bargain. Plus, you don't have to go all out because of the lead, so you hopefully won't aggravate you injury/niggle.

Go on, you know you want to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hmmm... I seem to be the only person so far that's said no. I'm a bit over-paranoid about injuries though; I've had a niggling calf problem for a couple of months and went out for a run 3 weeks ago (a gentle run-walk mix) and could barely walk home.

I suppose you've got to decide whether your injury is serious or just one of those niggles you have to run through

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
DO IT DO IT, you might surprise yourself :lol:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well i know this race route very well, as its our training run :rolleyes: its a very hard course IF your not up to standard, but i think you should run it steve just at a lower pace (LOWER PACE SHOUTS, because normally race day that goes out the window).

I have decided against it, its a hard race and the race is very fast, last thing i need is to lose my confidence even more, i have done it several times in training just not at race pace so i know i can do it... just want to save myself for my half in October.

I will be marshalling so ill slip you a short cut :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts