Prague marathon this Sunday! :eek:

Time to carb up, taper off and lay off the darned chocolate :embarrassed:

Target: sub-3:30
Best case - 3:20ish

Should be fun :cool:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I remember that race so well...3 years ago and it was hot..damn hot!!

Have a good 'un Katten and break that 3:30...wish I could!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Grant said:
Good luck Katten, hope you get a sub-3:30.
Good luck Katten.

Hope the weather`s kind to you.........

·
Registered
506 Posts
Best wishes on Sunday. Buy a big bar of chocolate and shove it in the fridge for the day after! Good luck:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
All the best Katten, look forward to hearing about your race :d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys :cool:

It's pretty warm down here, but not scorching. As long as it gets no warmer by Sunday, this should be good

Czech Rep's awesome by the way. Well worth a visit, best beer in the world :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
GOOD LUCK KATTEN

Remember plenty of time. :p

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3:24:something!!!

In the end, despite scorching weather and many more hills than advertised, I smashed my PB and came in at 3:24ish!! :d

Still waiting to confirm my official time, my garmin says 3:24:26 but this will be a couple of seconds out.

So overall, closer to my "nice, but you'll never get it" dream target of 3:20 than my actual target of 3:29:59! I'll have to run another this autumn, somewhere cooler, since I'm sure I can keep this going. :cool:

Pretty frustrating, I ran the first half in about 1:42 but kept getting overtaken by the 3:30 pace runners, often storming past me when I was doing 7:30 minute miles! Don't they keep a regular 8min mile pace? Or do they like to get "creative"? :rolleyes:

A couple of slow miles at first, swerving around people. Finally settled into a rhythm somewhere around mile 6, lost a little time not too much. Tried to keep it steady after that, kind of hard to estimate my real pace since my garmin was talking out of it's beepy plastic arse most of the time, giving me pace readings of 3:20mins / mile and 9:30 all on the same steady pace... :mad: But got to half way about 2 mins behind target, so not that bad.

Good going after that, hot but not too bad, lots of shade, fairly fast. I took on decent amounts of gel and water, put in some good miles. Quite a few short inclines, and some long stretches with no shade, but not terrible. Around mile 20 I was actually tempted to go faster, I felt strong, and was raring to go! But I kept it fairly steady still, planned to race the last 5k if I had the energy. Hit some hard miles around 23-26, mostly because of the 20degree heat! But rarely dropped below 8mins / mile, a little worry about thigh cramp, but this never happened in the end.

Around the end of mile 25 I just had to take a pause by a water station, grab a couple of drinks and walk for a couple of minutes, trying to rehydrate and cool down. I felt that the heat would make me dizzy if not, also fairly low on energy at this stage. But with everyone else keeping up the pace, I got back to it and, although I couldn't race the last mile, managed to keep around 8:10 until the final stretch, sped up a little, and overtook a couple more people in the last few metres :cool:

On the whole, I was really pleased; I cracked 3:30, decisively, despite hard conditions, and felt that I could have had a try for 3:20 with cloud cover and less crowding at the start. But that's for another day.

Anyway, off to rehydrate with another beer...

·
Registered
506 Posts
You did really well, Katten. I enjoyed reading your report too. Finishing over 5 mins ahead of your expected time must make it tempting to try for that 3.20 now. You must be happy:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten... that's brilliant!! Well done :)

How about Amsterdam in the Autumn... flat and fast! I'm entered, and I've heard that there is another forumite from here going too ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts