Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a common problem with runners, the old black toe nail malarkey. However, I now have 6 dead toes to 4 happy ones, which isn't a good ratio! I have freakishly long second toes which have been black for as long as I can remember, but the other ones have been quite painful. When I started taking sport seriously I succumbed to the fact I was never going to have particularly nice looking toes, but they've become too much of a problem to ignore!

I know the theory is that it's the trainers, but my last two pairs of runners have been the most comfortable I've ever had, so I don't feel it's them that's causing me the problem. Does anyone know any other reason or prevention? Or am I doomed to wear flip flops with shame!? Any advice or words of comfort from someone with equally tortured toes would be appreciated.

Ollie

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have had this problem too, but found that you need to in some cases to buy trainers either a 1/2 or full size bigger to give you that bit extra room as your feet swell during longer distances.

If your big toe is less than a 1/2 an inch from the end you might need slightly bigger trainers.

I will depend on the brand you buy also, I have new balance and I buy 1 size bigger.

Have you ever had a gait analysis?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
All I can think of is that the toes are touching the end or upper surface of the trainer, so the obvious answer would be to try bigger shoes... though obviously this may compromise the fit of the trainer on the rest of the foot???

I wonder if any suppliers do a 'narrow' fit? I've heard of a wide fit before - hopefully one of the resident shoe/foot experts will be along at some point to advise further...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, maybe I should try a different shape of shoe, I struggle as it is with size 12-13s so it's always a bit of a revelation to have shoes that feel comfortable which is why I was reluctant to change! But maybe I should bite the bullet. I did have a gait analysis done when I bought my current ones, but I'm starting to feel a bit jipped.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sounds like either he shoe is too short OR the foot is elongating due to pronation when you run, you should have the foot measured both seated and standiong to see how much difference there is....i have measured people with 3 + sizes difference from seated to standing 1-1.5 sizes is pretty common

an off the peg orthotic insert may help to stabilise the motion and save the toes in future

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Slightly different but similar vain, took my daughter to get new shoes went to a couple of shops in some they measured her feet while she was sitting on our lap where as in others they insisted she stand. It did make a difference even though she only a wee toot an error of a size from one shop too the next was I felt too big and error.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I suffered too, just 2nd nail on each foot but it was sore and annoying. New shoes didn't help and gait analysis said both pairs of shoes were OK so I resorted to gel toe covers and/or taping the tips of my toes with fabric plaster tape for every run. They are sore but the nails are not black now (and I live in flip flops!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts