Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been training for weeks for Cardiff half marathon, i had a good 1 hour run 2 days ago and no problems. However, i had a short 40 min run yesterday and now my right knee in middle is very sore and i get pins and needles when sitting. should i strap my leg up? when should i go out again? i'm a bit anxious x help.
:(
andrea

·
Registered
310 Posts
Andrea

I wouldn't put any strapping on the knee you could be causing more problems, use ice pack - rest - and wait for someone who knows about these things to get back to you.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The pins and needles when you sit down could be your piriformis muscle (this is in your backside) pinching your sciatic nerve. Try sitting on a tennis ball or golf ball and see if that offers any relief. There is also a seated stretch you could try and see if that relieves pins and needles. Take the foot of the effected leg (the one with the pins & needles) and place it on the opposite knee and lean forward and you should feel a stretch in your backside.

Knee problems and piriformis can be caused by overpronation - have you ever had your running gait analysed?

Try the above as Dale as suggested but it it doesn't get any better see a physio. You may want to consider some knee strengthening exercises as well. You may have a weakness in your quads. Have a look at this website http://www.knee-pain-management.com/knee-exercises.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Edwina, i will go and have my running gait analysed before the weekend is out. Also thank you for the link, i am going to rest today and i will try some of the exercises tomorrow. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts